Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt K.

Bolt body strange marks

8 posts in this topic

Gents,

Pulled this bolt out of the bubba'ed rifle. There are two areas on the body that look like cracks or weld marks(?). Are these common? Never seen them before? Unsafe?

Thanks.

R/Matt

post-170-0-41980000-1355259749_thumb.jpg

post-170-0-64435300-1355259768_thumb.jpg

Those are wierd Gotta agree with Joe You could also have it magnafluxed at a engine rebuild shop to see if the cracks still extend to the inside.

Good luck

Ryche

I have a metallurgical lab where I work. I dropped it off today. I of course got 10 different opinions from 10 of my work buddies. The lab folks will give me the real skinny (your tax dollars at work!).

Just got the bolt back. What you see (and this is how it was explained to me) is porosity left from the weld. Material was welded in a lump and then ground down and polished. I have been told there are no cracks, but the new material is a bit softer than the original steel. I am not sure I would want to shoot it, but apparently the guy who owned the gun did.

I believe Numrich still has the two bolt / carrier sections in stock. Just over $100 for the front and around $75 for the rear , IIRC.

Chris