Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goodbye_Charlie

Barrel Unlatches When Firing

13 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Im having a continuing issue with my JSAR where the spring latch that secures the barrel pops out when the rifle is fired.

Last time I wrote about this, Joseph thought it was possible the bolt spring was worn.

I bought a new one from Joseph (which it definitely needed), installed it and took it to a gunsmith for a once-over and it received a clean bill of health.

However, back at the range, it is still acting up.

It was suggested that it might be caused by the bolt slamming into the barrel when it reloads the next round but I tried it with just a single round, which leaves the action open, and it still does the same thing.

I should mention that the latch assembly has been examined by both the gunsmith and myself and there doesnt seem to be any wear that would cause this issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions for next steps?

Thanks let me know if photos would help

As far as I know/can tell, everything is original. All the numbers match the list Ed sent me - except the barrel, which is off by one digit and I think is likely a typo.

Post a pic of the Barrel guide collar and latch assembly, something is amiss. Does it happen when you cycle the barrel back by hand, In a recoil motion?

The latch button could be worn or gummed up so it doesn't come out far enough or the rails are spread slightly. The rails should be almost tight against latch. Try pinching them together. There is a small 1/16" pin retaining latch plunger, very awkward to handle gun to get at pin. Plunger has a flat side for the pin so as to keep it in place but free to move. Take the forearm off and inspect button close up. I have new latch assemblies if needed.

Sorry for the delay in replying - I wanted to get some pics.

I think Joseph is right, that the rails are spread.

When the latch is shut there is 10-15 thou of space which seems excessive.

The first photo shows how much play there is when the latch is held tightly to one side.

The second picture shows the latch button, which seems to have nice square sides but is depressed a bit.

The latch seems to be in fine shape, the spring has firm resistance, the latch doesn't pop out when I cycle by hand. just when firing.

The problem appeared the first time I took the rifle to the range after shooting about 30 rounds.

So I think my best bet is to thouroughly clean the latch button and close the rail gap slightly.

If that doesn't work, I may be in the market for a new latch.

Thanks for the guidance!

I'll try to get out and test it again in the next couple of weeks when I can get to the range.

post-765-1831909_thumb.jpg

post-765-2326261_thumb.jpg

Hi Ryche,

I adjusted the gap like Joseph suggested and it seems to latch more solidly, however I think I was over cautious and Im thinking that I should adjust it a bit more before I test it.

I should have time to get to the range this next week and will post results as soon as I can.

I'm already losing sleep over it, but this weekend is our Thanksgiving so I have to work around the family schedule :-|

I couldn't wait - I tweeked the rail spacing for a final time and I snuck out to the range today between errands and family stuff. I shot over 60 rounds without any problems with the latch. Thanks everyone for your advice and interest!