Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sledge101

Repairing Johnson, Pics on situation

11 posts in this topic

Dear all.

I am a collector from Malta EU and have bought a JSAR with serial number 1505. Could any someone help me regarding the pictures above of what are the missing parts and their purpose since the one I have has the same problem.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. But what is the purpose of the front cross pin? The JSAR and its parts are new to me so I will need all the help I can get if you do not mind. Thanks

The cross pin and its little metal retainer are there to hold the front end of the magazine in place. If yours is missing the small metal retainer, try removing the front hand guard you may find the broken chunk with the nail used to hold it in. Save the nail for when you get the replacement retainer. I believe Joe has both the cross pins and retainers for sale. Ryche

The front pin actually secures the mag front bracket which aligns the center pin of the magazine. The long side pin also helps align the magazine but mostly supports the sheet metal from moving sideways (rotating). Both are important. The back end of the center pin fits into the front of hammer block. This alignment keeps the cartridges aligned to feed into barrel on the throat ramp. A temporary pin can be made from 3/16" (.187") round rod. This front pin retainer is probably the only weak design feature I can think of. I know there were several designs to retain the front pin. By the way, the front pin needs to be removed before dropping the forearm wood.

There are excellent pictures of the front pin and retainer on Gunbroker.com for the gun listed as "rare ww2 Johnson with original bayonet-#370266145. Scroll down to find a closeup view of these items.

Hi to all.

I just got my JSAR serial number: 1505 this evening and it felt so good to have a piece of history at hand. My greatest worry after inspecting the rifle is to get hold off the front cross pin and the retainer. That will make me more happy. If someone has a picture of the front cross pin I will get a good idea on how it should be.

Can any one help please.

Regards

Carmel