Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed Johnson

Merry Christmas

6 posts in this topic

To all Website Team members and Regular Users of this Website...with much gratitude for your continued interest in the works of Melvin M. Johnson, Jr.....a very Merry Christmas from the Johnson Family....

Jim, Ed, Walt, Joe, Brian, and the rest of the staff and contributors, A Very Merry Christmas from Frozen Vermont! As we all huddle together trying to thaw the ice of this past week, thoughts of days at the range with a JSAR help to warm the soul and spirit. Best to one and all ArtR

Brother-in-law near Burlington, VT called today, saying he has been on a generator and wood fire heat steady for past 3 days....gets his house to 60 degrees at most....the rest is sweaters and extra blankets....hang in there, Art....Santa wasn't being very nice this time, at least for you folks....ej

During the 2009 Ice storm affecting the midwest, we went without power for 29 days. I ran our generator only enough to keep the meat in the freezers and refrigerator from spoiling. The sound of the motor running gets on your nerves after a while! You couldn't get out to get any extra gas for the generator so I rationed the 12 cans I kept on hand. (military 5 gal. cans). Be PREPARED.

All the power lines were down that went to the gas stations anyway, so even if you braved the ice, they couldn't pump any fuel.

Fortunately we could heat with the vent-free naturat gas fireplace and stay comfortable, sort-of.

Taking care of our outside dogs, cats, and chickens was a chore, but we kept them alive.

Did I mention that I don't like the cold?

"Brother-in-law of Ed's"....I can sympathize with your situation. Any length of time without power is too long in cold weather. Beware of the carbon monoxide too. I kept my generator about 50 feet from the house.

If Santa left you lumps of coal in your stocking....perhaps that was the best gift?