Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bullitt08

Magazine question from a newbe

12 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I just acquired a M1941 Johnson and best I can tell everything seems to be fine. However I do have a couple of concerns and questions.

1) For some reason the magazine wont take more than 9 rounds - can't load the 10 round. Any thoughts on what could be the cause of problem? I was thinking I should attempt to take apart the magazine as I've heard that there could be some sort of problem in there. Magazine spring?

2) That said I would like to disassemble the magazine to inspect and clean but can't find any documentation on how to access this. I've had the rifle broken down but I have not taken apart the receiver, fore stock and magazine drum.

Any suggestions or links would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bret Duff

Remove the lower group by removing bolt stop plate and bolt stop at rear of receiver, then pull the rear pull pin just behind the magazine. Slide off the lower. Then pull the front pin to free front end of mag. You should see a long pin on the left side of receiver holding magazine to upper. That pin usually a bent end at the rear but it sometimes is in front. Slide long pin out and magazine should come out. Remove the hinge pin and door spring. Look at the case pusher, it should be aligned with the center axis. If needed, straighten. Pull the mag center pin and remove coil spring and pusher to clean. Putting it back is tricky. Hook the end on the little notch and roll assembly back in place, insert center pin. If the spring is hooked wrong and has too much tension, it can restrict mag capacity. When assembling door, hold the pusher back so that door, when depressed, is below the pusher. The bent ends of the long pins must fit in the small recesses of the stock, or the lower will not go all the way forward and rear pin will not go in.

Also check the mag door spring. If it is in backwards it will restrict from going all the way around, and limits capacity. The smaller side should be to the inside of the mag. Ryche

+1 to the above . I striped and cleaned my mag and reassembled that spring up-side-down . Would not load a full 10 rounds , 8-9 max . Chris

Thanks Gents!

That was it - the spring was upside down. I finally figured out now to remove the mag and take it apart. I swear until reading the above - I must've taken it apart about three or four times and never noticed that the spring was upside down. Of course in my own defense - I've never torn down one of these before. Now she's taking all ten rounds - as advertized.

Anyway I plan on taking her to the range in the next few weeks - extremely excited!

Thanks again!

Bret

PS I've attached a pic of my new acquisition next to one of my other favorites - my M1A Scout.

Cool glad it was that simple. Be prepared for alot of attention at the range... Especially from the EXPERTS that have never seen or touched a real Johnson. They know all there is to know about them, most of it wrong :) There are some that are truly in awe with the chance to look at one. It can be alot of fun, you just won't get much shooting done. :) Ryche

Yes, I am so glad I found this website and am really looking forward to taking her to the range in the near future and will report back when I've had a chance to actually put a few rounds down range. I've long been a fan of this particular rifle - probably due in part to it's link to the Marine Corps (I'm a Marine BTW - 77-81) and I've always had interest in Military history. However I truthfully I never thought I'd ever be able to get my hands on one as they where hard to find and those I did find - the prices made them cost prohibited. But I guess it was fate - as this one more or less fell into my lap thanks to a trade for my old Porsche 928 (kind'a rare itself). Anyway I'm feeling pretty good about acquiring this little gem and am sure it'll be a centerpiece of my collection. Thanks again,

Hey Bullitt: If you have not checked your main spring yet you should do so... Most of the orig. mainsprings are usually worn out. It should measure 12 inches if it doesn't Joe Scott has new made that work great. I have one in mine. When i checked mine it measured 10.5 inch, and with Joe's new one the recoil was significantly reduced. If you are not sure how to get to it, remove the butt plate and unscrew the cap in the back of the stock. The spring, buffer, and recoil cup are all attached to it. If yours is not a prefix serial # you should post the serial if your comfortable with that and there are guys here with the orig. production log that can tell you how many of your parts still match the log. Good luck with it. If you really want to stir things up carry it through a gun show :) You will get the whole range of comments and a few down faces when you tell them its NOT for sale. Most of the guys in my area already know its me if they see a Johnson walk by, as i seem to be the only one in the area:D Ryche

Hey Ryche, Mine is one of the Winfield Sporters - it has the recoil pad and the ramped front sight. It's not the Monte Carlo stock like I've seen in some of the adverts - it almost looks like they took a GI stock & just slapped a recoil pad on it. But there's no inlet in the top of the stock for the top of the butt plate. That said I'm not sure if I can access the main spring without removing the recoil pad. Guess I have to do a little research before I dive into that. But I was actually thinking about hitting the next Crossroads of the West Gun Show out here in Del Mar to see what I might be able to find. What I would really like to do is to revert back to the GI butt plate and a barrel with the wing front sight & bayonet lug. But for now I'll just enjoy her as is. I'll have to think about the serial number - but thanks for all the help. Bret

Hey Bret The man above is going to become your new best friend. Although i have yet to meet him in person, i have seen some of his work on remilitary converts and they are good. There are quite a few guys here with spare parts so we can help. P.M. Brian Alpert with your serial if your comfortable with that and he will get back to you with the production #'s. Let us know how many still match. Is your Winfield pad screwed on or glued on ? On my civilian, the pad is a Pachmayr held on with two screws. One of the screws goes right into the wood and the other fits right where the wood is relieved for the recoil tube. After discussion with a friend here on the forum (who i got the furn. from) we decided that Winfield glued in a wood plug in the stock for the pad to screw to. Instead of gluing in a plug (so i can get to the main spring, which needs replacement also) I used a champagne cork lightly shaved and pressed (forced with a little pressure) in to the hole for the recoil tube. I then very easily screwed in the second screw into the cork and tightened the top one and she holds very well. Anyway just one possible solution to getting to your main spring. Good luck at Del Mar. Ryche

Some "after market" recoil pads are installed by first piercing the pad with an ice pick or similar. Then an appropriate sized screw will almost disappear under the rubber of the pad when tightened up. You may or may not find the screws readily visible.