Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

High serial number

32 posts in this topic

Be my guest. Let us know if you find anything. ej

It was just a suggestion; I would not know where to start on that quest; Just a suggestion to a local person who knows a little about the Johnson experience !!

OTI, try newspapers around Providence, Boston, and in national gun papers. Might get lucky. I bought factory gages from a person who lived in Hope Valley, who bought them at an estate auction of gunsmith who worked on Johnson rifles. Did once know the name but have forgotten it. Who knows what might still exist? Might need to describe the logs so people who might know what they have can respond.

Joe, the Gunsmith would have been "Ike" Izaacs, who worked for Kenneth Kemp, the owner of "Johnson Automatics Associates" in Hope Valley, RI after JA had closed previously. Both men are now deceased. I went to them in the '60's and had them assembling the 5.7mm Spitfire Carbines during 1965 - 1967, after which we shut down that project.

i once started to collect data concerning serial numbers, part numbers, location by state, etc, on a form. Many persons did not know how to find part numbers or were reluctant to share about their guns. This may be due to concern about gun control and records. Finally gave it up. i did note that many were on the east coast, Texas, California and some in mid west. Not many in northwest or southern states. This may be due to low population or low income. Extremely few overseas as most were re-imported.

That's too bad you couldn't keep it active somewhere, I think it would be a great resource for others in the JSAR Fraternity.