Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

Clean your chambers

4 posts in this topic

Remember to clean your chambers as well as bores. Condition of chamber is critical for extraction. I just honed and saved an original barrel and am corresponding with another person with same problem. To remove corrosive primer residue, you must use water to dissolve the salts they leave. Hot soapy water is best, then clean and oil normally including chamber. Assume all military ammo is corrosive even though some is not.

Why Yes Really good info.. I found out about this some time ago when firing what i thought was non corrosive ammo. almost lost my barrel. Was able to hone it a little and get her going again. Thanks for the reminder Joe :) Ryche

My guy did it with a very small engine cylinder hone. Of course he owned a engine rebuild shop, so he had one on the tool line. I have also used a piece of worn emery cloth attached in a slot cut in the end of a wood dowel, then mounted in a drill. put the drill in a vice and you have good hand control over the barrel to move it around the dowel and emery. A variable speed drill works best, so you can set it at slow to medium and lock on the trigger. That will give both hands to control the barrel. Make sure to use a med grit very worn emery so you don't cause grit lines. anyway its worked well for me for cleaning up newly acquired barrels that are in less than stellar condition... I also use Joe's scotch brite test afterwards, it gives a real good clue whats happening inside the chamber....Ryche