Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve(WA)

New Johnson rifle assessment please

6 posts in this topic

Hi all... I know this is a little late (auction over), but can the collective group look at this rifle? I threw a bid on it, not thinking I would get it. It looked rightous to me. I wanted a complete Johnson. I bought one a while back with sporterized stocks, Mr Scott fixed me up with a great new stock, but I also wanted an all original gun.

I am getting this no matter, however, just wanted the group opinion. I may sell my other gun after this arrives, but not sure. I will post up here first if I do sell. It has perfect metal, probably never fired. And a brand new stock set. Looks like it just came off the line.

Here is the auction:http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13097028/

Thanks all! Steve

Other than the 2 plugged holes on either side of the sight base it looks good. Finish looks original. Would have to disassemble to see if the stock and bbl are original but from these pics, they look OK. You did not get hurt at that price.

Thanks much. I totally overlooked those two holes. Someone have an old scope mount? The seller didn't list it, but they are sure pictured well now that I look closer. That is the problem of using your tablet to bid.

Earlier stock? No "cheeks", looks all solid wood.

I agree.....it looks original.....like Brian says. The stock is in great shape. I've had over a 100 Johnson's....LMG's included, and its as right-as-rain. LOL.

David

Having it in hand, it does look nice. Mike (M48Tanker) brought up an interesting idea about the two holes by the rear sight. He wondered if they weren't made to tighten the dovetail. And it does look a little large on one end. One of the pins is right there on the dovetail too. Could that have been done at the factory?

post-4447-0-85610200-1418777357_thumb.jp

Interesting way to "fix" an issue, if it was in fact to tighten up the dovetail. Since it would be covered, I would've taken the sight off, peened the receiver in the middle a few times and reinstalled to check fit.