Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sm03

Question about a threaded Johson 1941 barrel / muzzle

6 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a Model 1941 in straight military configuaration that has the barrel theaded in front of the front sight to the muzzle. It is as if it was meant for a muzzle break or some other device that needed to be scewed on. Does anyone have an answer as to why this was done?

Photo?

None of the 1942 era photographs that I've seen (many) show anything like this. The manuals and few available authoritative books don't mention any accessories for a modification like this. I know of no originally produced blank firing attachment. Others here will know better than I.

A muzzle break could affect the recoil operation cycle, so that would be a "no." It wouldn't be for the bayonet. Possible modification for a flash suppressor? or an attempt to "silence" the rifle? This would be impractical due to the high muzzle velocity. Also, doubtful it was done at the original factory.

I can think of no reason to thread the barrel, other than someone trying to be creative...adding weight of any sort to the bbl would affect the recoil, as previously mentioned, and the rifle was not originally fitted with a bayonet. The one that was made for the JSAR was done so reluctantly after the fact, and not originally recommended. While I have a bayonet, I have never tried to fire rifle with it attached...it just did not seem right...as stated earlier, a silencer or muzzle break would also affect recoil, maybe not as much as the bayonet.

Didn"t Johnson automatics make a break or flash hider of some sort??? I remember being out bid on one some years ago. I believe it to have been for the civilian version but is it possible someone threaded a military for the same break?

Ryche

It was made for the civilian light weight sporters after the war. It is possible that someone tried putting one on a military barrel or used one of the sporter barrels to replace a bad military one.