Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WallyatPearl41

Johnson serial # 0242

5 posts in this topic

Hey Brian or Ed when you get a chance can you please search the records & see what components Johnson #0242 was assembled with ? Also, I could use a main spring if any one has an extra available, mine has fatigued to 11 1/2" inches from the accepted 12".  May be interested in a bolt catch too & possibly a magazine cover/door spring ( I made a replacement out of spring steel that works great, but if someone has an "extra" original, I may be interested !!)

thanks guys !! 

Contact Joe Scott at this site for info on parts that you mention before looking anywhere else.

Here are the #s on JSAR#5561

Received from Cranston Arms 1/29/42

Stock #2

Bbl #6542E

Hammer block #5312

Hammer #8986

Bolt #6426

Locking cam #6573

Firing pin #7944

Extractor #5034

Magazine #8002 

Transferred to NPC 2/3/42

Disregard post above.....refers to another JSAR

Here are the #s on JSAR 0242

Received from Cranston Arms.....not listed

Stock....not listed

Bbl #512E

Hammer block #0344

Hammer #0562

Bolt #295

Locking cam #125

Firing pin #882

Extractor #516

Magazine #1005

Transferred to NPC 10/1/41

Ed & Brian, many thanks !! I greatly appreciate the info. My first thought was to message Joe on the parts, but kinna didn't want to bug him if he wasn't feeling better yet !!. I will go threw my Johnson in the next day or two & post results of components !!

I'm really excited, again THANK YOU !!  

O.K. fellas, I couldn't wait did a tear down to check numbers & figured I'd give everything a good cleaning while apart. I am a little disappointed, but enjoyed the research & by no means love the ole '41 any less !!

So, here we go JSAR # 0242

Bbl #512E = H6267 :( 

Hmr blk #0344 = 0344  :)

Hmr #0562 = 0002 :) (not a match but i'm cool w/ 0002)

Bolt #295 = 2614 :( 

Lck cam #125 = 5830 :( 

Firing pin #882 = E2527 :( 

Extractor #516 = C6518 :( 

Magazine #1005 = E0140 :( 

In conclusion only the Hammer block matches, but I'm still :) happy to be caretaker of the rifle !! The rifle is by no means perfect, It has it's share of "patina & character" & may well have seen some type of action (post ww2 most likely) So I was not too surprised by all the replacement parts. It is however still in it's military configuration w/ no signs of ever being sporterized & has a very respectable bore (clean,bright,great rifling.) Stock is of the Johnson variety  w/ out laminated cheek pieces. The bayonet & scabbard are originals & are both unumbered. 

Thanks again Brian & Ed for your time & info. I'll try to get a hold of Joe & see if he can hook me up w/ a main spring, bolt catch & maybe mag. door/cover spring.

001.JPG

003.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG