Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GregOwens

JSAR Barrel Question

7 posts in this topic

Been assembling and disassembling my Johnson ever since receiving my new bolt stop from Ryche and searching for all the numerous serial numbers. Good news is the barrel and locking bushing have the same number, and it has the dagger/ IO marking so I believe it is an original? Bad news is that the barrel is threaded for a flash suppressor. I know the barrel is supposed to be 22 inches in length, but how to you measure it? Is the locking bushing included in the measurement?

I'm trying to figure out if my barrel has been significantly shortened or not because mine is 22 in with the locking bushing. My last question is if an original front sight can be installed over the threaded portion of my barrel? I'm also missing the bayonet lug, but the two marks for the pins are still present. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Greg

I believe barrels are normally measured from tip to the back end of the chamber. So measure the full length with bushing and then deduct the distance from the end of the bushing to the back end of the chamber. For the bayonet lug, there should also be a step in the barrel just behind the pin slots. As far as front sight, it also pins in place and is back about 1/2" inch from the tip (don't quote me on the distance). if it doesn't fit snug, you may be able to get a machinist to make a threaded sleeve that would fill in the gap and may even cover the forward threading.

It is kind of interesting someone would thread the barrel because additional weight on the tip (muzzle break or silencer), could interfere with automatic cycling. Maybe that is why there are just threads and nothing attached to them?

There was a muzzle break made by Winfield for the post war Johnsons, but they are few and far between. Perhaps yours has been threaded for one of these...

Ryche

How do you post pictures?  My threaded barrel does have a flash suppressor, but it is very narrow and light so I doubt it would affect cycling. There is no "step" in the barrel as far as I can see near the slots for the bayonet lug pins, so I don't know what's going on. Pictures speak a thousand words, so I will work on that. At least the interior of the barrel appears pristine, so I'm happy about that, and Mr. Joseph Scott is looking for my last missing part in his parts bin.

Greg

Here it is.....any idea if this is a Winfield mod, or just some bubba? Also, can the original front sight and lug be reattached? Thanks.

Greg

20160121_163534.jpg

And here is the reason I'm not too worried if the front sight cannot be replaced...top of receiver ground flat to accept scope base. It currently has a Weaver K4 and vintage rings on it, so it is accurate to what my grand-dad had on it in the 50's or 60's when he was using it to blast deer and Elk in Montana.

Greg

20160121_164611.jpg

As the receiver has been ground flat, you might as well keep it as is.  It is not possible to (easily) restore it to military configuration.  About the only thing you can do with the receiver (other than keep it as a sporter) is have a LMG type 2 sight base  fitted  and further modify it to accept a 41 LMG parts set, making a 41 LMG look-a-like.  I don't believe it is a Winfield.  They had a scope base which dovetailed into the top of the receiver where the rear sight had been attached.  Winfield mounts also have 3 rings.

Enjoy it as it is.  Probably a good shooter and/or hunting rifle.  I have a nice sporter I hunt with.