Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GregOwens

Strange Barrels on GB

12 posts in this topic

On my never ending quest for JSAR parts to get mine up and running I noticed two barrels up for auction on gunbroker. One appears to be a 7.92×57 Mauser and the other is only referred to as a 30 cal. Possibly English in origin, and looking pretty sketchy. Could they be used safely? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Hey Greg,

Even if these where original Johnson barrels, which clearly they are not, my biggest fear is the statement in both auctions "sold as is". Anytime a seller on gun broker doesn't allow me some kind of inspection period, I stay away from. 

Wayne

The 1st bbl is a Remington 1903/A3 adapted to JSAR locking and guide collars retaining the 03/a3 sight.  The 2nd is an 8mm German (note Nazi markings) Mauser bbl with the locking  and  guide collars, bayonet lug and sight.  In the 50s and 60s it was not unusual to find JSAR bbls adapted from whatever was available.  Some were well done and others poorly.  They need to be checked by a competent gunsmith before use.  If you can get them cheap, it is worth the risk that they can either be used or even refurnished.  They do not look to have been "stubbed" together. 

Mr. Alpert,

What do you consider "cheap" for these "as is" barrels. I really need a replacement barrel to take the place of my chopped one. If they were blessed off by a competent gunsmith, what would their value be? I know how much Im willing to gamble, but would like your expert opinion. Thanks.

Greg 

How are you see,ing these barrels?   I in my computer idiocy cannot find them.  Auction number?

thanks  Ryche

If the bbls headspace and are not "stubbed"  (I would not think they are), they will shoot fine as is.  I value them based on what it would cost to bring them up to proper JSAR specs.....with front sight and bayonet lug.  The Remington bbl needs to be shortened, crowned and stepped  (75-125) to accept a JSAR front sight and bayonet lug (200) and refinished (50).  Now, ask yourself what you would pay for a replacement?  The going rate is $550 and up.   Net.....if you can get it for under $200, It's worth the gamble.

As to the 8mm.  It already has the JSAR sight and bayonet lug.  If you were really a purist, you could cut and crown the bbl to proper length, step it appropriately and remount the sight and bayonet lug and refinish.  8mm in not as popular so would be priced accordingly.

Those two barrels just sold on GB for $580.00 on the 03 barrel, and $800.00 for the Mauser one. Unbelievable. Not even real JSAR barrels. 

Either I am no longer current on JSAR bbl prices or there are buyers out there with more money than sense!  I would never spend that kind of money for a bbl I could not return for cause.....headspace issues, bore not as described, etc.

The only thing that I could make out of it is that both winning bidders appeared to be low volume purchasers on GB. They had under 10 purchases on the site. Also, the seller stated that they were "original" Johnson barrels, and some story that after the war, Johnson made these barrels for other weapons manufacturers, lol. So much disinformation out there. Buyer beware is all I have to say. 

The same individual who sold the JSAR  8mm bbl for $804.99 and the 30/06 for $573.88 on GB on  3/20, just sold a 308 with M14 front sight, bayonet lug and flash hider grafted on for $720.  Apparently the 30/06 sold on 3/20 was returned as it was sold again for $320 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=552597183  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=552592555