mbpope

Stock and Buttplate question

8 posts in this topic

Hello y’all

I am almost finished restoring this Johnson I have and the very last thing I need to do is replace the buttplate on the rifle. This rifle was sporterized in its past and the butt stock has been sanded. The dimensions are off and the plate is about 5/8 inches too big and there is a slight overhang. Plus the top of the stock is not inletted for the buttplate. Is there anyway around this with what I have or do I need to source another buttstock?

assuming this is a standard winfield sporter. 

thanks for any and all help in this matter. 

Photos might help for better advice, if you can do it.

You have 2 choices.  Get a proper military stock or modify the one you have (along with the buttplate..

There are 3 areas to modify in a shorter stock conversion:  the buttplate,the rear sling swivel and the small stock key which is covered. 

If you choose to modify the stock to fit the buttplate, you must 1st inlet the top to fit the tongue of the buttplate.  This is not particularly difficult using  rotary motor dremel tool,  The buttplate is now bent as needed and fitted to stock butt.  The screw holes in the top and butt are drilled and the buttplate fixed to the stock with the screws.  Overhang of the buttplate if present, is marked, ground off and polished.

Now inlet and fit the rear sling swivel.

Expose the small stock key which fixed the mainspring tube, place a proper one along with cover screws

Good luck with that. They are rarer than hens teeth and cost an arm and a leg, unless you can find an after market reproduction.

I just got one actually on gunbroker now that the auction is over with. It’s original and it has some stock chips here or there but it will work. Once I get it and switch it out I’ll probably post the sporter stock on here to sell if anyone can use it.  I just need the recoil tube and key to hold it in place.  Last thing I gotta do to get it back to milspec.

and I got it less than Murray’s stock at 899.00. So I’m happy 

Years ago, I was thinking of buying one of the stocks Joe Scott had/made....about $500, to make mine look original, but decided not to after others had seen my gun and suggested that I leave it as is. Others believed a previous soldier/owner preferred the '03 fit/feel and cut the "C" grip off, and "carved" it down to sort of replicate a 1903 "S" stock.... it is done very well, not a butcher job. It is different and sort of unique, though not truly original, but functions.IMG_0160a.jpg

Man that looks nice with the tiger striping.. I would not have changed it either. Mine on the other hand has been sanded so much and about 1 inch and half cut off rear that the buttplate is too big.. other than grinding down a buttplate to make it look good I just waited to get an original stock which I finally did. So I don’t have to worry about recoil tube placement and function since this is an original stock should be good