metrotps

Johnsons on Gunboards

17 posts in this topic

1st link gun at $6500 with no photos (if present, I couldn't find them) ....would need more info if trying to buy it.

2nd link gun looks nice. Wonder if its a re-build?

And yet another one...

Per the Lister: "This is in very good shape over all. Nice clean bore. There is some discoloration on the metal , mostly on one side as seen in the pics. It doesn't look like pitting, more like the metal surface was somewhat rough to begin with and then the finish was applied over it. Comes with older unmarked leather 1907 style sling and what I assume is a reproduction bayonet. This looks better in person. Asking $5650 shipped on this one."
https://imgur.com/a/YuITOng

As I was reading the forum an original bayonet showed up from the listing I posted here on January 2nd.

Click image for larger version.   Name: 01.JPG  Views: 17  Size: 184.0 KB  ID: 3563297Click image for larger version.   Name: 10.JPG  Views: 8  Size: 174.6 KB  ID: 3563315

Another one on Gunboards posted yesterday at 1530 hrs. By Oregunian.

"Selling my Johnson rifle to fund my wedding. I bought it as a sporter and have all the parts needed to return it to military configuration. Correct barrel, buttplate, rear sight, and new recoil spring. The sporter stock can be easily reshaped to look more like an original stock. Comes with the sporter barrel as well. Asking $4000 shipped to 01 FFL."

GB Johnson1.jpg

GB Johnson2.jpg

And up pops another on Gunboards with a story...

ww2collector says,

"M1941 Johnson Semi-auto with USMC ties" "For sale is a 1st block serial numbered JSAR with very strong circumstantial ties to being USMC issued. It came from the estate of a retired colonel on the ordnance board that was in a perfect position to pick one up from the USMC when they were disposing of theirs. Plus it's in a range of serial numbers listed in Canfield's JSAR book. It's a little salty with honest wear, and it comes with a USMC sling. His brother was in the Marines 2/5 during WWII and fought in the Solomans, etc. It comes with the documents showing that the rifle came from the colonel's estate. A very high probability legit WWII USMC example. $7200."  https://imgur.com/a/37DULs8

Sorry, but I am having a very hard time even seeing a hint at provenance with this one. "Plus it's in a range of serial numbers listed in Canfield's JSAR book." in my book is the same as saying, "Close, but no cigar".

22 hours ago, metrotps said:

And up pops another on Gunboards with a story...

ww2collector says,

"M1941 Johnson Semi-auto with USMC ties" "For sale is a 1st block serial numbered JSAR with very strong circumstantial ties to being USMC issued. It came from the estate of a retired colonel on the ordnance board that was in a perfect position to pick one up from the USMC when they were disposing of theirs. Plus it's in a range of serial numbers listed in Canfield's JSAR book. It's a little salty with honest wear, and it comes with a USMC sling. His brother was in the Marines 2/5 during WWII and fought in the Solomans, etc. It comes with the documents showing that the rifle came from the colonel's estate. A very high probability legit WWII USMC example. $7200."  https://imgur.com/a/37DULs8

There would have to be a lot more convincing documentation for this to be confirmed as one of the USMC Johnson rifles.  There is no "range of serial numbers" for the rifles procured by the Marine Corps as verified examples in all three blocks (no prefix, A prefix and B prefix) exist.  Also, I don't know what a "USMC sling" is.

Joe, I know they are a lot of fake slings around with USMC markings, including a lot of carbine and Reising SMG slings. The Gunboards description seemed to imply that the sling was some sort of "special" Marine Corps item.  As you correctly pointed out, there's no such thing.

Well somebody bought this "M1941 Johnson Semi-auto with USMC ties" after the seller posted that he would entertain offers on the 31st. I would assume for under the $7200 asking price. 

The really sad thing will be if the 'buyer' ends up on this site, after the fact, looking for support/confirmation on the purchase. We never did determine the SN on that rifle, so it will be hard to track.

Serial #7216.  Kind of wonder what it sold for.