Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huskytim2008

Johnson Magazine Backpack

9 posts in this topic

Quite a while ago I was determined to find an original canvas Johnson spare magazine carrier. After some twenty years and many gunshows, I just concluded that there are none left! So, I made a reverse engineered set of drawings from the prototype, leather backpack from pictures from Bruce Canfield's book and my magazines that I have purchased over many years of collecting. I am currently making progress and should have it finished once I can buy some more leather. My Tandy's store is closed under orders of the California Governor, Gavin Nuisance.  My version is all hand stitched, I don't own a sewing machine and have spent many hours stitching by hand. It will have a magazine holder for 12 mags inside to keep them from banging around.  I don't go to the rifle range dressed like a wannabe Hollywood actor in Marine, frogskin camp and for you that do, my shoulder straps and brass hardware are made for my likes. I don't wear a web belt , sidearm, canteen and knife at the range. Here are a couple of pics. 

DSC01737.JPG

DSC01736.JPG

DSC01731.JPG

huskytim2008:

That is a nice looking project. It will be interesting to see the final product. Are you going to try and stain/treat the leather? I think that I would at least treat with Neatsfoot or the like

It will be as close to the original as it was. I will use #5 Fiebings Dye-Prep, a special leather cleaner that will remove oil and grime. Next it will receive a Wyo-Sheen, Leather Finish from Sheridan Leather, no longer in business. That is a satin clear and water resistant finish. I also have the exact fomula for reproducing Randall Knives, waxed finish. Here is an example. I make and sell custom knives and have been doing that for over 20 years. The leather will naturally age and become more golden brown.

Greeves_220.JPG

Very interesting photo!

Huskytim2008,

Very interesting project and it's looking good. I saw that you make custom knives. My bucket list includes owning a Randall knife. I like the model 14 and the 17.

Have you ever made anything similar?

M48TANKER

Very nice work!   The leather backpack mag carrier displayed in the book was essentially a prototype and I've never seen one "in the flesh."  You did a great job replicating it.  The more common type (as you alluded to, a very relative term since they're rarely seen) is the canvas variety as per the attached photo.

JLMG canvas backpack mag carrier.jpg

The late Bruce Stern had one in his collection, which he showed to Walt Liss and myself some years ago before he died. His Johnson collection was auctioned off a few years ago and I assume the pouch went to someone at that time. I have never seen an actual "hard leather" case like the very attractive one photographed above. It could very well become an instant "collector's item."

On 6/21/2020 at 9:14 AM, M48TANKER said:

Huskytim2008,

Very interesting project and it's looking good. I saw that you make custom knives. My bucket list includes owning a Randall knife. I like the model 14 and the 17.

Have you ever made anything similar?

M48TANKER

The replica that you see above is a very rare WW2 Randall, "Commando" knife. If you Google, Errol Flynn Knives, there are a couple of photos of him with his Commando knife aboard his boat, "The Zacca". I made the next knife, a Randall model 17, Astro shortly after the passing of Neil Armstrong. It was patterned and made for the astronauts as part of their survival training. It has the two line lettering and their name on the obverse side. I don't do any commission knife work and make them for my own gratification. Again, these are replica knives, not sold because of copyright implications. My mentor is Mike Silvey, author and friend who has published many books on historical and collectable knives. 

DSC01219.jpeg

DSC01220.jpeg

Astro_1_001.JPG