zxing

First Johnson Rifle Purchase!

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, thank you for adding me to the forum!  Just purchased my first Johnson Rifle yesterday for $4000 and wanted to know what you guys think.  Don’t really know much about these guns but the price seemed good so I ended up taking a gamble and buying it. Didn't have time to ask you guys here before I pulled the trigger as someone else was waiting to place a deposit on the gun. How did I do? I’m mostly concerned with the originality of the barrel, as looking at the pictures there’s something weird on the barrel directly in front of the handguard and it appears the front sight was originally mounted a few inches back at one point judging by the two notches on the barrel directly in front of the bayonet lug.  Thanks in advance for all the feedback and I look forward to participating more in the forum!

20200921_102715.jpg

20200921_102719.jpg

20200921_102722.jpg

20200921_102710.jpg

The bbl guide collar looks very strange and certainly not correct.  The rest looks OK from what I can see.  Remove the bbl and post some pictures for a better appraisal.

Just hard to determine, but is that a hairline crack on the butt stock, on right side,  starting a couple inches from the front, where it meets the receiver?

The bolt doesn't appear to be locked. Is that because the barrel isn't correct as Mr Scott mentioned? Definitely wouldn't fire it until that's addressed.

The barrel latch may not be engaged which puts barrel forward.  There appears to be a white plastic ring on the front collar.  The bolt should close on a latched lmg barrel unless modified.   Pictures of the barrel out of the gun will help.  If the stock is cracked, use superglue to repair it.

I just saw this rifle for sale again yesterday.  Can you tell me why you didn't go through with the purchase?  I noted the same issue on the barrel and wondered what you found out.