mmeridith

Scoped M1941 in Chinese movie

14 posts in this topic

I interpreted some of the Chinese, they seem to be saying “what an ingenious rifle, where can we get some”,

loose translation.

What is the name of the movie? Can it be ordered on disk?  ej

The 1941 Johnson is an Amazing rifle   way ahead of its time when it was built 

57 minutes ago, Ed Johnson said:

What is the name of the movie? Can it be ordered on disk?  ej

Ed, I don't know... It popped up during one of my many trips down the rabbit hole in searching the web for Johnson of my own.  

It would be nice to know the "period' for the movie, as for quite some time it has been illegal for all but a few civilians to own or have firearms and or ammunition. The tone of the movie seems to be that if you do something against those in power, you will be shot

What appears to be another clip from the movie

Another clip from the movie

It looks like "Gentle Hit" has a bunch of these and others  posted on YouTube. Someone sharper than me can use google to translate titles. Handy Broomhandle handlers in there too. Thanks for posting!

Yes, I noticed the Mauser "broomhandle" WWI period pistols also...possibly an oriental version....similar to one used with the wooden gunstock in a Clint Eastwood western. And the '41 Johnson scoped rifle obviously appealed to the director.. If it is possible to obtain or create a disk copy of the actual movie, I would be interested. Folks can correct me if they know differently, but I don't think the Johnson was ever featured in any commercial film. This stuff is fun to play with.....

In the low budget alien/horror movie: "Without Warning", Jack Palance's character uses a JSAR with scope.

I checked the Palance film on line. Couldn't be sure the scoped rifle was a JSAR. Could not see the radiator grille covering the rear half of the barrel above the forestock and could not see if there was the bulge from the rotary magazine. Lighting was dark. Are you sure it was a '41 JSAR?

Ed, about 55 seconds into the film, it shows the lady taking the rifle out of a case and  assembling it in a pretty fast manner. Check out some screen shots for you.  It’s pretty clear that it’s a JSAR.  

3A41FB71-86D5-446F-996C-6E585D804B8A.jpeg

2C0BBD84-1CD8-4B7F-83D8-AF7FC4FAEA5C.jpeg

A60E2D4A-7E3D-486F-A078-30059858C66E.png

38714113-016A-4236-ACDE-9F7955029B17.png

Reply to "Camstuff"    Yes, in the Chinese movie, the girl definitely has a scoped '41JSAR....no question. It shows up a few times.

Reply to  "DArbeit"     The TV film "Without Warning" has some dark-lit scenes where I THINK....upon further review....the Jack Palance character is carrying a scoped '41 JSAR, because I spotted a bulge in the middle of the rifle which suggests a possible rotary magazine. The U-Tube video is a little fuzzy. I might see if I can obtain a better quality disk.

Thank you both for the help.  ej

To Blueheeler above......Thank you for this info. Very helpful. It looks like the oriental film listings might relate to what the other folks above referred to. I will check on some of these when time permits.  ej