Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ArtR

Sort of off topic, but...Definition of: Gun Furniture

7 posts in this topic

When did the definition of "gun furniture" change from: "Noun: The trigger, trigger plate, trigger guard, (and when present), the heel plate to the stock"

to: the stock??? I grew up knowing it was this hardware on the stock, and the stock was the stock. Anyone wish to enlighten me? Or am I just old school?

While it is may be considered something of an archaic term today, for a couple of centuries, when it comes to firearms, "furniture" correctly to the metal fittings on the stock such as barrel bands, band springs, patch boxes, trigger guards, buttplates and the like. The use of the term "furniture" to refer to wooden components (stocks, handguards and forends) is a fairly recent phenomenon.  You're actually "new school" and not "old school" ' lol

Bruce is correct, in that it also includes all other metal fittings on the stock. Sounds more like a modern,uneducated use of a word. Welcome to the modern and 'new' teaching practices. Those that know, do; those that don't know, teach. Furniture is a plural term, used to collectively refer to items. Living room furniture does not refer to a living room, but to the items and accessories that make up that room. We say, "welcome to my living room" not "welcome to my furniture!" Today's thinking, "oh,if it is wood or supposed to be wood, it must be furniture!" Yikes! What is this world coming to. No wonder there are so many misconceptions regarding 'arms', and I mean weapons, not the appendages hanging from your shoulders. Oh, right....those are assault weapons too...let's ban those as well!

I believe that some of the misconception comes from the customizable AR15/M4 style rifles. There is no wood on these style light rifles but o so many attachments...OR Furniture.

And as we all know they are the potatohead of the light rifle world.

Ryche

I've always used "stock" and "stock hardware" in order to clarify. Never heard any complaints.

Ed, that is a 'sane' idea...why had I not thought of that....the topic came up because of many recent 'ads' for the holidays from various vendors, who should know better, but are pushing product