Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TOKAREV

Newbie on board

10 posts in this topic

Greetings everyone!    I bought a Johnson a couple of years ago and just discovered this board...   I really appreciate the info I've been getting from everyone.  Being a pretty serious WW2 collector I knew about the Johnson long ago but had never actually laid hands on one, until the one I bought.  The serial number is 3089 and it is in military configuration, appears all correct and came with a bayonet and leather scabbard.  The gentleman I bought it from told me he had bought it in 1974 but didn't remember who from.  Unfortunately due to a long, boring story I have not been to the range to shoot this beautiful, old warhorse yet.  Can anyone help me out with some production info about my baby?  I'm assuming it was built 1941/42?  Thanks!

Welcome from a Canadian newby.

A starting point is to purchase the book authored by Bruce Canfield titled "Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns, published and available from Mowbray publishing for $50.oo at phone # 1 800 9994697 in Rhode Island. It will answer your initial questions and much more. Considering what you probably paid for the gun, it is a bargain. And welcome to the site.  ej.

Welcome

Here is the data on JSAR#3089

Received from Cranston Arms 12/12/41

Stock unlisted

Bbl #2283E

Hammer block #2890

Hammer #5979

Bolt #4359

Locking cam #1786

Firing pin #6789

Extractor #3208

Magazine #9045

Transferred to NPC 12/15/41

It is unusual to find many if any #s which match other than the Chilean contract rifles.

Hi Ed and team, thanks for the welcome. I've personally owned Bruce's 1941 Johnson book for years, great book ! I also have many of his others.  I see you are from CT. I lived there for most of my life. I left 3 years ago for the South. Thanks again for the welcome and I am looking forward to learning from you all.  

Wow.....  Thank you gentlemen for the quick (AND knowledgeable) replies!  I did buy the Canfield book and am finding it to be supremely informative.  And like I usually do, I bought it  AFTER I bought the rifle.  I'm a reserve lieutenant with a local Sheriff's Office and every year we do a "World War 2 Firepower Demo in support of our local WW2 museum.  I bring a bunch of my stuff and always have other collectors who come out and bring their stuff.  This one gentleman showed up with a rifle case and when he opened it up, inside was the Holy Grail (as far as I'm concerned!) of WW2 treasures.....   long story short, I cleaned out my "Gun Fund" and begged my financial advisor (WIFE..... you guys know what I mean!) and got my baby. As I said, have not shot it yet, but hopefully in the near future.  Anyone have any recommendations on a good clean ammo or load that would run her without hurting her?  Thanks again for all the welcomes and help.

Tokarev, I load 47 gr IMR 4895 pushing a 150 gr Hornady BT bullet. Runs the rifle beautifully without working it to hard. 

Good Luck,

Wayne

Also, any NATO .30-06 Springfield ammo works just fine in the rifle. I have used a lot of the CMP-DCM  sold Greek head stamp with zero issues.

At one time I had purchased a bunch of 8# jugs of .30-06 Surplus powder from a place called River Valley Ordinance, but they no longer had it, and I do not even know if they are in business any more. They were also a great source for clean, once fired military brass. At 55.0 gr per load, that .30-06 Surplus powder did not last long, but my M1's and the JSAR ate that stuff up. Now I use both Hodgdon H4895 and IMR 4895 with good success. I highly recommend going to this page for your load data for either of these powders.

NOTE: This is not something that I would recommend for anyone other than a very serious reloader.  I sometime want to play with a reduced recoil load in a semi-auto rifle, only to see how much the load might be reduced and still have the action function correctly.

Thanks Yucca and Art!      I do have some FN surplus and a whole bunch of Israeli surplus I'm tempted to use, but I think I'll roll a few of my own to break her in.  I have some H4895 left and some (I think) Hornady 130 gr SP I might try.  I've never been shy about shooting any of my WW2 stuff ......   My father and I reloaded for just about anything you can imagine from .22 LR (don't ask any details on THAT!) to .458 Win Mag.  I'm hesitant, not because of the investment I have in this gun, but for the simple fact that it is a serious piece of history and every year that passes there are fewer and fewer.