matconcrete

Whatam I missing again

11 posts in this topic

My dad, a car salesman, before he died, had a few wise sayings. One was 'Everything is for sale, and everything has it's price." Another was, "An items value is whatever someone is willing to pay."

Was it worth over $2K? Someone sure thought so.

I am not sure it is an original.  On every original I have seen or handled, the lug entrance is straight sided, made on a horizontal milling machine.  This entrance is made on a vertical mill with a round cutter.  Also the rivet is flattened with a press, not with an orbital riveting machine. 

Joe

I was going to question the 'originality', but felt it better to leave to the experts. The "A,B,C" s in the Walt Liss page discussing originals vs repros, seem to jump out on this one, but I could be wrong.

Unfortunately, as time has progressed, so too has the 'quality' in some of the reproductions. If this is a 'fake', and word gets out that people are willing to pay original or better prices for them, they may step up their work to do a better job.

I agree with Joe. Everything about this bayonet screams "REPRODUCTION".....To me anyway.

I would have stopped bidding at about $80.00 and that is only if I needed another bayonet.

There are SEVERAL things to look for to determine if the bayonet is original and this one fails every test...in my opinion.(which is worth exactly what you paid for it, nothing)

Of course I was technically "wrong" one time. I was actually just "mistaken" about my original declaration of disbelief, and my original statement proved to be "correct."

Take a very close look at this one: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/899230283

To me this is what a true original looks like.

Edited by M48TANKER
Add info

The second one looks 100% right.   On the first ($2175) there is No wear on the edges of the Parkerizing.   It is one of the second imports made for Sarxx.  Oh well, it was his money.

Bid history on that item sort of tells it all.... early on, it looked like a couple people were interested in a 'repro', but then a few days later, someone  actually thought it was 'real' and bidding got serious, and then July 4,  proxi bids took over later last night...one of the bidders is going to be wiping his brow and saying,"boy that was close" and the other is going to be saying, "Whew, and to think I nearly bought that!". Somewhere, sometime, there is going to be a very disappointed person involved.

There is just something intrinsically wrong with this auction. Without casting stones at anyone, whether it be the buyer, would be buyers, or the seller...I've got to say that there must be more to this story than we are aware of? Perhaps decimal points got misplaced...that would make some semblance of congruity.

Maybe the whole auction was an exercise in misdirection to prove some point. You know, several friends get together to try to baffle and befuddle the collector community. However this approach might still prove expensive in taxes, fees, and the seller's reputation. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do just a little bit of research before spending $2195.00 including shipping on some piece of Military paraphernalia. We all know that simply because someone offers an item and states very clearly that it's "original and correct" doesn't mean that a "mistake" hasn't been made by someone.

Hmmm...another possible scenario just occurred to me: The item is supposed to be " FROM THE PERSONAL COLLECTION OF RICK CROSIER" (whoever that is...I really confess to my ignorance). Let's just suppose that two nephews both thought that they would inherit the bayonet. Then neither of them actually inherits it. They both feel cheated and are determined to own Uncle Rick's "original and 100% correct" item. So a bidding war starts based solely on possession and not on originality. I've seen it happen. 

At least the seller states that: " All Sales include three-day inspection privilege, if returned in the same condition as received, buyer pays return shipping. I pay Gunbroker fees even if decide not to keep the item you bought, therefore REFUND WILL BE LESS THAN FEES AND SHIPPING charged by Gunboker.

Now the buyer still has a chance to recoup most of the money.

Then again...perhaps I should just mind my own business.....Hehehe.

I have to agree with m48tanker, something is odd about this auction.  There are some good points that were mentioned.  I’ve seen bidders bid high, and then they don’t pay, then a week or so later, the item is back up for auction. Well anyway, I could be completely wrong, and we may never see another bayonet bring top dollar like this one.  Then again we have all seen a few JSAR’s go for $11,000 up to the $13,000 range.  

Quoted from a previous post, by Brian Alpert "Rick Crosier, a well established US Martial arms dealer (recently deceased)"