camstuff

Ever seen a 41 Johnson scope mount?

12 posts in this topic

Found this on EBay this morning.  I’m not interested in it, but I’m curious if this is a real JSAR part. 

3CC07CA6-11AE-45D7-98C0-218AF62F16D1.jpeg

B603B717-ECD7-4294-8959-D50CAEE1BE3F.jpeg

Never have heard of them nor seen one! Looking at the price, they are very proud of it!

I'm not sure either. If you look at the pictures of Johnson rifles being used in Cuba and during the Bay of Pigs fiasco, some of them do have scopes. If the US provided these scoped rifles clandestinely, the mounts and scopes were most likely sourced by whichever alphabet agency hosted the "invasion."

Johnson_in_Cuban_service_2.thumb.jpg

Johnson_in_Cuban_service_x.thumb.jpg.ded.jpg

Havana University cache.JPG

I will venture to say that no 1941 Johnsons came from the factory with mounts and scopes. Any scope mount on a Johnson was sourced and installed by another entity.

Winfield Sporters and Deluxe Sporters often had scopes mounted on them. As I inferred before, some alphabet agency probably had the  "Cuban" Johnsons fitted with mounts and scopes. It appears that even those "Johnson scope mounts" had three "rings" on them.

If someone adapted a scope mount to include taking advantage of the dovetail of the original sight, then it might be said to be a "Johnson scope mount." But more properly called a scope mount which will FIT the Johnson rifle.

I have a couple of scope mounts that I've removed from 1941 Johnsons if anyone is interested.

Cuban scoped Johnson.JPG

fancy sporter Winfield carved wood..JPG

Weaver mount.JPG

Johnson_in_Cuban.jpg

It looks like there are 3 rings on the scope shown in the first picture.  I’ll have to look up some old Winfield ads that have scopes.

Whatever ALPHABET SOUP agency funded/supplied the Bay of Pigs, they would never have included scope mounts with Ordinance markings.

While this mount may fit on a JSAR, it would have to be drilled/tapped as none from factory were ever drilled nor tapped for a scope of any type or sort.

BOGUS for sure! Very wishful pricing. Sure hope someone does not get swindled!

Winfield mounts have a dovetail which finds into the rear sight dovetail slot.  They are made for 3 rings

The pictures posted show use by Castro's rebel force including rifles captured by Batista's government..  Remember, Castro never announced as a communist until after the revolution and was probably given arms assistance by the alphabet soup agency who, in the 40's and 50's was arming any insurgency claiming to be anti-communist throughout the world.  It is said that many of the surplus arms dealers at the time were fronts for alphabet soup agencies.  Since Winfield imported virtually all the JSARs in the US, they probably originated with them.

Brian, that is the best explanation at this point. I'm not aware of the factory providing for them. I do recall Dad having a Winfield sporter with scope during the 1950's at the New Haven CT house. I did not find it after he died in 1965.

If someone could post pictures of a Winfield scope mount, I would like to know what it looks like. Is it necessary to drill and tap the receiver to install the Winfield mount?

Here you go.  It is made of anodized or painted aluminum.  It requires drilling and tapping 6 holes and it dovetails into the rear sight dovetail.  It is set up for 3 rings.  The nice thing about this base is the screw holes are covered by a JSAR rear sightB6862.2.jpgB6862.1.jpg