dawg180

Dror lower on a standard M1941 Johnson

6 posts in this topic

Will a Dror lower fit on a standard M1941 Johnson without (permanent) modifications to the M1941 receiver?

I am assuming you would need to remove the "rat tail" from the M1941 bolt but otherwise would it (in theory) work?

Think "daisy mae" with the tubular Dror look.  :)

in short, no.  The JSAR receiver needs be trimmed about 1/2 inch at the rear and notched for the latch.  The inside sometimes needs to be milled to fit also.

Brian,

Boom!  Just the guy I was hoping would answer!

Gotcha, basically the M1941 receiver is extended to allow the bolt stop cover, etc. to be fitted to the rifle vs. the LMG not having it with the inline stock.

Assuming that I had a butchered sporter 1941 as a donor, milling that off and possibly some fitting to get the frame rails between the upper and lower to attach, and the notch on the right side for the lower catch to engage, and a LMG cam piece (rear of the carrier) it would work(?)

(and a front sight and rear sight of course)

Dawg180

P.S. are you still doing the Louisville gun show(s)?  

Missed the last 2 for fear of covid.  I was not yet vaccinated and am immunosuppressed from lymphoma treatment.  Reserved a table at the Oct show which I will use if I feel well enough.  You will also need to provide a sight base....type 1 which fits the dovetail or type 2 which is integral with the receiver.  I have plans for both if you need them.

Hello: I did this when i built my Pattern 2 DROR. Using a sporterized 41 rec. (bubba cut off the ventilated jacket section).

With some help from Brian it all went together rather well. So yes it will fit with a little work. Its kinda miserable to shoot with the big steel butt plate but looks good. 

You just have to love it for what it is. :)

Ryche

Interesting thought, I’ve got a somewhat butchered sporter, it’s my shooter grade rifle, you’ve given me the idea it could have a better life as a different rifle now!  But do I want to take on this project?  I’ll have to research and figure costs as well.