FlightRN

1941 Johnson Rifle front sight cover

18 posts in this topic

Good Day,

Back in the days, many years ago, I was able to find and purchase from Peter Cardone (a well known militaria dealer) a front sight cover for a Johnson rifle. Pete could not provide specific insights on its origin but we both felt it was made for one of the Latin American (e.g. 7mm Chile) contracts due to markings and purpose built construction.  It is reminiscent of a Mauser bolt action rifle front sight cover that were similarly built with a brass spring loaded cap/plunger and a heavy steel stamped bracket that provides resistance and pulls the cap so it the rests against the muzzle,.  There is also a stamped number on the top (4239) that reminds me of other accessories seen on South American rifles.

Have other collectors and shooters found other examples?

Regards,

Mike

Hhn4Vhsl.pngVARX9JBl.jpgZFwIeUZl.jpg5juBJ4yl.jpg

Very nice and very interesting. Thank you for your contribution to this archive of knowledge about JSARs.

Never seen one, will add this to my list of "impossible things I must find"

I learned a long time ago that simply because something fits that doesn't entail that was it's designed and intended purpose. I've also learned that conjecture without supporting evidence is still merely conjecture. And as the front sight of the JSAR had sight ears protecting the sight (1909 Mausers didn't) why on earth make a sight protector?

55 minutes ago, Joseph Scott said:

I believe cover is for 1909 Argentine Mauser rifles.

Some EBay research indicates this is correct....

Good Day,

The construction style is similar, however, the one I own is not a 1909 Argentinean.  The 1909 steel retention strap does not have a strengthening rib on the front and the edges are not rolled.  My "JSAR" variant utilizes what apparently is the same muzzle cap construction.  As I originally stated, it was felt the cap was likely Latin American in nature.  The 1909 similarities seem to support this hypothesis.

I appreciate eb in Oregon's comment about the cover.  I have always called it a front sight cover.  However, It's possible the intended function was a muzzle cover. To retain it, the cover rotates over the ears,  the spring in the cap puts tension on the strap, and it then rests against the back of the front sight, between the ears. I believe this is reasonable supposition until another use, or rifle design, can be found to explain its construction. 

It could very well be a "one of" design but the addition (and font style) of the number is a lot of extra effort to put into a unique design.

I look forward to more discussion.

EDIT: I added a pictures of various countries front sight/muzzle covers including a 1909 muzzle cover example. 

Thank you

fv6xdwrl.jpg

9uic8rgl.jpg?1

I wish I'd had one of these "muzzle covers" on my M16 rifle in Vietnam! Usually I was riding on the M48A3 tank, with billowing clouds of dust clogging everything up. Otherwise I'd be slogging through the two foot deep mud of Fire Support Base Barbara. The tanks and artillery pieces really churned up the mud, and then we had to attempt to navigate through the stuff. (and I'm not exaggerating even a centimeter about the depth of the mud.)

For some reason, maybe the plastic caps available now to cover the flash hiders had not been invented yet? Most guys used condoms over the end of the barrel. The bonus was you could shoot through them. And that's all I've got to say about that.:wub:

2 hours ago, Bruce Canfield said:

This item is a classic example of a solution in search of a problem..

I agree completely.

17 minutes ago, M48TANKER said:

I wish I'd had one of these "muzzle covers" on my M16 rifle in Vietnam! Usually I was riding on the M48A3 tank, with billowing clouds of dust clogging everything up. Otherwise I'd be slogging through the two foot deep mud of Fire Support Base Barbara. The tanks and artillery pieces really churned up the mud, and then we had to attempt to navigate through the stuff. (and I'm not exaggerating even a centimeter about the depth of the mud.)

For some reason, maybe the plastic caps available now to cover the flash hiders had not been invented yet? Most guys used condoms over the end of the barrel. The bonus was you could shoot through them. And that's all I've got to say about that.:wub:

Couldn't find a small plastic bag or a condom? I've been in the desert with the M16A1, M16A2, and the M4 Carbine. Dust really wasn't an issue. Sticking the muzzle into the dirt or mud was, but dust? And I spent a lot of time in M113A3's and those thing generate dust like all tracked vehicles.

so, nah, dust isn't much of a thing.

3 hours ago, FlightRN said:

I believe this is reasonable supposition until another use, or rifle design, can be found to explain its construction. 

And at one time some forward thinking people were condemned and punished for claiming the world was actually round and not flat. And there are still people that claim the world is flat.

Hey FlightRN,

Whether it's called a sight protector or muzzle protector...I LIKE your little piece of history.:D I looked for hours and couldn't find another one exactly like it. Some were close but none  was exactly like yours! You may have a "One of a Kind" ? It will definitely serve well as a muzzle protector and keep DUST, mud, rocks, and worms out of your muzzle. Dust plus monsoon rains equals Mud.:rolleyes: Are the spring loaded flaps on the right side of the lower receiver of an M-16 called "Dust Covers" or Mud Flaps? Tanks are much bigger than APCs and make a lot more dust, they also throw clumps of mud and debris. Tanks do go slower than APCs and can't outrun their DUST.:ph34r: Even way back then sticking your muzzle into dirt or mud was considered bad form,:excl: and was usually easier to avoid than DUST. Unless you had to "Bite the Dust" when under enemy fire.:wacko:

Unfortunately I often used up my government issued supply of condoms for their intended purpose:D (covering the triangle shaped muzzle device.) Anyway, my "M16" was actually marked Armalite AR-15, and was full auto. Probably one of the first Colt/Armalite AR-15s over there, aquired by the U.S. Airforce before anyone else got them? I received it as an inheritance from an NVA soldier who had no more need for it.

Colt Armalite 601 $90,000.jpg

I watched a muzzle cover just like that one go for $228.00 on ebay last week.  Listed as '1941 Johnson rifle muzzle cover'. 

Funny about name associations.  It is all in what you call it. I am willing to bet, if the seller had listed as anything but a JSAR cover, it would not have fetched $15.00

Nice to revive old threads that are interesting and educational.

This one that just sold on ebay is absolutely a Johnson 1941 rifle muzzle cover. The seller said so. And, he guarantees that it is authentic! Learn something every day.

"Excellent condition and guaranteed original WWII Johnson Model 1941 semi auto rifle muzzle cover. Functions fine. Brass has nice looking patina. Steel part has nice original blue finish. Very rare original Johnson Model 1941 accessory!"

I guess WHIG and I marveled at the same listing!:lol:

Good Day,

To capture it for posterity, here are pictures of the JSAR front sight muzzle cover sold in June,23.

Regards,

Michael

JSAR sold 30 Jun23 for 228 front.jpg

JSAR sold 30 Jun23 for 228 rear.jpg

JSAR sold 30 Jun23 for 228 side.jpg

JSAR sold 30 Jun23 for 228 top.jpg