Ed Johnson

Donation of Johnson Papers - Instructions

15 posts in this topic

This topic relates to the successful efforts by "matconcrete" to obtain Lot # 212 Johnson Papers & Blueprints from the Amoskeag Auction # 132 in New Hampshire last weekend on 11/20/21. Be advised that I have contacted the Curator of the Springfield (MA) Armory National Historic Site and received a prompt positive response.

To quote Mr. MacKenzie, "Its a really great thought to donate those papers here. It would make a lot of sense and we'd be happy to preserve them in the archives forever and make them accessible to research. Your Dad's papers would be in good company with papers and archives from Garand, John Pedersen, Julian Hatcher and Townsend Whelen, among others."

Therefore, if there are enough individual donations made by members and readers of this Johnson Website, the papers and blueprints will be appropriately donated to Springfield at a later date. So far, I note indications of support on the other 2 page thread below from myself, Art R, Joe Scott (very generous), Rarecat (matching Joe), EB In Oregon (generous), Orlando, Imgone, and Butch. I encourage others to join us as best they can. Contributors shall have access to the Springfield material and I'll have more info on that procedure later on.

Contributions (checks) should be made out and mailed to: Phillip Mattingly, P.O.Box 105, North Anson, ME 04958, per his instructions. You should note "Johnson Donation" in the check memo line.

In passing, Phil was disappointed in not being able to obtain Lot # 208, the serial number record book, but we had digitized those records several years ago as a precaution so the info is still active.

Thank you all for your interest in Dad's work. It is very much appreciated.    Ed J

Mine is in the mail also. "Keep history alive."

I am currently out of town, will mail check saturday.  Some years ago, I digitized many of the drawings and papers for Ed and sent him six dvd's for certain team members.  However,  they were not completely organized.  If possible, it would be nice to put them in order and reshoot them.  This would save future trips to   Springfield and handling of papers.  No telling what order they might be after auctions persons looked through them.  My daughter filmed them flat on floor with high quality Minolta 35mm camera.

Joe and other team members:

If I am not mistaken, you all have those 'digitized photos' on the thumb drive that was sent to you a few months back, though not in order, they may all be there.

Art

Glad to see the support above. I've sent money also. Joe makes a good point on the blueprints and Art is correct about the flash drives which include Joe's previous disks. At this point, let's let Phil enjoy his purchase and go through all that material he bought. We will also consider Joe's suggestion on re-photographing the prints and possibly photographing the prints Phil just received. Story to be continued....meanwhile, the Holidays are upon us, which will keep some of us busy for a while.   ej

If someone has the desire and ability to record these documents,I will gladly deliver them to you , it’s going to be quite a project but a worthwhile one. Probably should get through the holidays and talk it up. All I ask is to be part of the group that hand delivers the documents to Springfield Museum. It will give me a good reason to tour.

Phil

Phil, if you live in Maine, you are not THAT far away from Springfield, MA using Rt 95, Main Tnpk and the Mass Turnpike. Its a car trip, not a plane trip. And I agree that the project itself should wait till after Christmas Holidays. Let's see how well people respond financially for starters. And when we do a presentation, we'll have some other local folks to join us and go up into the vaults and see many things. Story to be continued.......  ej

I'd fly up for that event.  I've always wanted to tour the Armory and this would work great

OK, Rarecat, we'll keep that in mind. We may not be able to arrange a group tour too quickly. They had to close the Museum completely due to the Covid 19 and did renovations during that period. This latest strain of virus from South Africa might screw things up again for a while. Stay tuned.   ej

Did some of your relatives work here?91495134-9E08-4404-8D9F-959DDE0DAA45.jpeg

I assume some of these stories are in print somewhere or should be.image.jpg

Just an update as I attempt some slight order with these papers etc. for those of you whose addresses I have because of you generosity and desire to preserve this piece of history, I’m trying to put together a thank you package of the easier to reproduce items, a few items that I’m looking at :

1, 1939 record of tests at Aberdeen Proving Ground ,18 pgs

2,  Performance of small arms in Solomons, rendered by Capt. Harry L Torgerson, 9pgs

3, will try to have quality reproductions made of some publications made showing photos and descriptions of each johnson weapon. 

4, there are some negatives mostly of lmg’s , I will try to get prints made.

5, There are many note books handwritten by MMJ , 3 or 4 of them seem to be a life history ( condensed I am sure) perhaps a summation and personal events leading him to accomplish what he did. Including playing with dynamite as a teenager. Very Interesting. If members would like I could run these through the photo copier.

6. Patent information with detailed drawings, hand written pat. App.

7. One blueprint that might make interesting gun room art is what looks to be a model 41 , currently its 32”x60”

if I or someone could get this on digital, or if you can locate the aforementioned thumbdrives Im sure it could be scaled to a usable size.

Many more blueprints and much correspondence, I’ll keep gleaning. Phil

Phil

If you send me a PM with the 'blueprint' description/nbr, I will look to see if it might already have been photographed. Also check on its way.

ArtR