CptAfroMan

M1941 stock replacement (Sorry for the duplicate post))

24 posts in this topic

Good afternoon everyone. 

I am in need of assistance. I've got an m1941 with a very glaring problem. In this day and age I know I have better odds winning the lottery than I do getting a replacement stock.

What are my options, since no stocks are sold online anymore. Can she still be saved or is she doomed to be a wall hanger forever?

Any help would be appreciated.

20211122_180449.jpg

20211122_174449.jpg

20211122_174612.jpg

20211122_174627.jpg

20211122_180400.jpg

20211122_180436.jpg

20211122_174439.jpg

20211122_174704.jpg

20211122_180924.jpg

Edited by CptAfroMan

Keep your eyes open... There was an auction lot within the last few weeks that had a used stock & numerous spare parts, I can't remember if it was on Gunbroker or Proxibid, sorry.

I believe that was a sporter stock with that auction.

They are only a phone call away. But to answer your question: No, I've not ordered a stock from them. If it's not in stock they still have the pattern at least. But I'm thinking it won't be cheap.

Sorry I didn't post this sooner but they don't have stocks YET....Randy is the owner of Murray's and he is finalizing his JSAR stock offering.  My buddy sent him a receiver so he could get the recoil spring tube done correctly.  We are hoping to get some of his first completed stocks soon. 

They will not be cheap

1 hour ago, Rarecat said:

Sorry I didn't post this sooner but they don't have stocks YET....Randy is the owner of Murray's and he is finalizing his JSAR stock offering.  My buddy sent him a receiver so he could get the recoil spring tube done correctly.  We are hoping to get some of his first completed stocks soon. 

They will not be cheap

How much do you think theyll be? I mean as long as they don't cost as much as the rifle itself.

Likely a grand or more for both pieces.  Call Randy, he is a nice guy and can give you exact pricing and when they might be available 

I have had to drill the recoil tube on a couple of his stocks.  He does nice outside work but has no idea about the drilling.  A receiver has nothing to do with the tube drilling.

I can only tell you what he asked for and what was sent to him.  My buddy sent a receiver and then later the trigger sear housing.  

1 hour ago, Joseph Scott said:

I have had to drill the recoil tube on a couple of his stocks.  He does nice outside work but has no idea about the drilling.  A receiver has nothing to do with the tube drilling.

I'm thinking that actually it does as the receiver holds the bolt, the bolt has a tail that is driven into the stock and returned under spring pressure, and the geometry must be pretty close to prevent binding or other issues. By itself maybe not, but with all necessary parts required for function I think it does. The important features are where the recoil tube ends and where it begins to maintain the geometry required.

The key over the trigger locates the trigger group/receiver, the small key in butt stock locates the recoil tube.  These keys should be 8" apart for correct functioning.  The key holes are square to prevent rotation.  Each end of holes are counter-bored only deep enough for the screw heads.  I have seen any number of key slots drilled all the way through on the stock duplicator.

2 hours ago, Joseph Scott said:

The key over the trigger locates the trigger group/receiver, the small key in butt stock locates the recoil tube.  These keys should be 8" apart for correct functioning.  The key holes are square to prevent rotation.  Each end of holes are counter-bored only deep enough for the screw heads.  I have seen any number of key slots drilled all the way through on the stock duplicator.

There is a lot of geometry and careful location to those points. But the receiver has no part? And I'm sure we can agree that not following original dimensions isn't a good thing.

I believe I have a blueprint on file for a jsar stock if that helps.

phil

I'm new to this forum and am restoring a poorly sporterized (buba'ed) 1941 Johnson. Been looking for parts for a while.

Just ordered a stock from Randy (Murray's) He told me that he is sending them out to have the recoil tube hole bored and a new tube installed. Stock with new tube installed, forearm, nice walnut finished and stained was $1074.99. approximately 30 days. I will post a review here when I receive it.

Greg

Last year I got a quote from Murray's for just the butt stock and he told me about 550.  I decided to hold off at the time because it would have come with no spring tube hole drilled.  apparently he sends it to a friend in Texas who does that part, but at the time his friend couldn't do it for one reason or another.  Maybe I'll try again now.

Matconcrete, I saw you mentioned that you may have blueprints for the stock.  If you were willing to share that with me I may go the rout of building it instead; I have resorted to building parts for my desporterization in the past.   

Going to get it digitized shortly, I’ll fwd it to you.

Phil

7 hours ago, C P said:

Last year I got a quote from Murray's for just the butt stock and he told me about 550.  I decided to hold off at the time because it would have come with no spring tube hole drilled.  apparently he sends it to a friend in Texas who does that part, but at the time his friend couldn't do it for one reason or another.  Maybe I'll try again now.

Matconcrete, I saw you mentioned that you may have blueprints for the stock.  If you were willing to share that with me I may go the rout of building it instead; I have resorted to building parts for my desporterization in the past.   

I wonder if that friend reference is Joseph.  I don’t think he doing any work anymore because of vision problems. 

Yes I just ordered one from Randy "Murray's" He sends it out to have the hole bored and a new tube installed. Price for stock, forearm, finished in a nice walnut with stain and new tube was $1079

Greg

15 hours ago, GAS LLC said:

Yes I just ordered one from Randy "Murray's" He sends it out to have the hole bored and a new tube installed. Price for stock, forearm, finished in a nice walnut with stain and new tube was $1079

Greg

Hey Greg,

When you get it, take pictures and post. If it looks good and functions properly, might just pick one up in case something happens to my original!

Thanks!!

Wayne

I will do that Wayne

8 hours ago, Yuccacapt343 said:

Hey Greg,

When you get it, take pictures and post. If it looks good and functions properly, might just pick one up in case something happens to my original!

Thanks!!

Wayne

I have the stock blueprint scanned , pm me your email and I’ll try to send you a smaller version, fullsize is huge.

Phil