GAS LLC

New member trying to restore 1941 Johnson

28 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone I'm new here and trying to restore a badly sporterized 1941 Johnson. The Johnson is one rifle I've always wanted but hadn't got until last year. I've found a NOS barrel and just ordered a reproduction stock. I will still need a Buttplate and sling swivel if any has these parts they can part with. I might need the recoil stop if repair dose not work out.

Here are some pictures for everyone to cry over.

Greg

7B31A177-F749-45D5-8BC3-32B98052E97D.heic

D63DE734-983D-4F9E-8446-55909DF5F6D1.heic

1D1D1363-0A4B-4B52-8259-1BB3FE3C97E5.heic

1E5ADD17-5475-485E-BA24-A3AA0319EFE8.heic

A16BFCC7-3BAA-452B-808B-EF31C914A039.heic

I tried to drag n drop pictures but that didn't work not sure the down load worked ether?

I can’t view the pictures!  

Bubba did a number on your rifle....  but everybody starts somewhere, good on you for bringing it back

I cannot view files either

When I clicked on the pics, they downloaded to my PC and then I opened them using the photo app.

Is there a easy way to add pictures, the drag n drop won't work I get error 200

Your HEIC format image files are specific to Apple IOS11 and later, and many will have problems viewing. Try saving as and transferring as JPG or JPEG files.

I tig welded the recoil stop, I'm debating on reparking the receiver it has a few area's that are brite. What is the consensus on reparking these rifles?

Here is a picture of the serial # and repaired recoil stop

88B5737E-9327-493C-B924-EFA21C6D08AA.heic

37172D51-9CBC-4680-A80E-FCA9F3EF2592.heic

I'll try this

11 minutes ago, ArtR said:

Your HEIC format image files are specific to Apple IOS11 and later, and many will have problems viewing. Try saving as and transferring as JPG or JPEG files.

I tried that (JPEG) with no luck get same error message

9 hours ago, GAS LLC said:

I tried that (JPEG) with no luck get same error message

Rather than 'drag' files, did you try 'choose files' option? That normally works for me. However, remember, you have to limit file size. Many new cameras have very large formats and thus the file sizes can be huge. Generally a JPEG under 2MB is plenty good for detail and transfers well. I normally will reduce (scale) images before trying to transfer to forums.

2 hours ago, ArtR said:

Rather than 'drag' files, did you try 'choose files' option? That normally works for me. However, remember, you have to limit file size. Many new cameras have very large formats and thus the file sizes can be huge. Generally a JPEG under 2MB is plenty good for detail and transfers well. I normally will reduce (scale) images before trying to transfer to forums.

Ok after some work (making a new folder) and reseting my phone format will see if this works. Looks like it did. 

Thanks ArtR for the help, always a learning curve for a new forum. I spend most my time over at 1919a4.com one of the members there sent me this way.

IMG_2981.jpegIMG_2987.jpegIMG_2986.jpegIMG_2983.jpegIMG_2984.jpegIMG_2988.jpegIMG_3729.jpegIMG_3730.jpeg

IMG_2982.jpeg

IMG_2985.jpeg

IMG_2989.jpeg

3 hours ago, GAS LLC said:

Ok after some work (making a new folder) and reseting my phone format will see if this works. Looks like it did. 

Thanks ArtR for the help, always a learning curve for a new forum. I spend most my time over at 1919a4.com one of the members there sent me this way.

Hey Greg.

Photos worked at this end. I am glad that you took the time and figured it out.

BOY! Bubba sure did not like that rifle much. The stock wood looks like he may have made it extremely weak. And the Bolt Stop Plate....what was he thinking?

Great job on the bolt stop rework. Should look great when reparked.

I wish you luck in finding the parts to try and make the rifle right. Best wishes

ArtR

I used a propane torch to melt the silver solder holding down the front sight on mine. 
Then it was pretty simple to tap it off with a hammer.  watch out for the alignment pin though.

I won't be taking that sight off, it is not a original barrel. I will be replacing the barrel and will be selling the sporter barrel.

Ok I got all the broken pieces replaced receiver and recoil stop reparked and a original barrel. Waiting on the reproduction stock. I am still in need of a buttplate and a recoil spring mine measures 11"

Did a function check with dummy rounds and everything seems to work.

39B7C8F6-4D7A-409E-8822-EFDD7403B1BE_1_105_c.jpeg8C430853-8F9F-4B1A-A264-D5D8BD95FDA7_1_105_c.jpegEF3E434A-BCAD-4ECF-A088-029AD47E6622_1_105_c.jpegD45AD5BB-39EE-4C0A-9F89-FDF0587A51EA_1_105_c.jpeg7FDFA48A-D022-4C99-8189-CB4D18C3474E_1_105_c.jpeg

21 hours ago, matconcrete said:

Looks very nice, you saved it!

Thanks it should make a nice shooter and look fairly correct. Will post more when the stock shows up.

Greg

I think that was Bubba's method of trying to make it lighter. The trigger housing was also drilled up.

That bubba needs help, and should be kept away from firearms all together, do you suppose he had any idea what he was destroying? 

The guy I bought the rifle from said it was his grandfathers, so I doubt he knew the value of the rifle he probably remembered seeing them for sale in the back of magazines. Still some people should not be allowed to own power tools.

Ok been a minute since I've posted progress on this rifle. Been waiting approx 1 year for reproduction stock and still no stock. I bought one on eBay I believe it was a member here that had it. Over priced but was available. Couldn't post pictures again so Here is a link to test firing. Very happy with the end results into a good shooter with both 7mm and 30-06 for around $3700 and some time. Thanks to everyone here that helped.

Hey GAS LLC

Nice looking project and from video, seems to work flawlessly. You will have to take it to the range and give a report on how it is for accuracy.

Again, you did a great job rescuing that 'BUBBA' back to "Military'

What is the 'test fire' box that you have? Make/Model/Source?  It really got my attention.

ArtR