Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rarecat

Spitfire on GB

13 posts in this topic

Opinions?   Thinking of making a run at it but don't want to complete with other forum members....if you are already or plan on bidding and want it bad, let me know and I'll bow out

Johnson 22 Spitfire M1 Carbine Sporter 5.7mm USGI Parts Semi Auto Rifle C&R - Curios & Relics at GunBroker.com : 923873626

Not me. First I don't use right hand stocks and I'd offend many as if I had my hands on that I'd strip and re-varnish the stock. The "purists" would excoriate me.

It does look like one of my small quantity of production items after Dad passed away.. The stock is hand-checkered and the Williams Ramp sight is what we used. I think this would have been a model 5771. It doesn't look in bad shape...maybe a few dings and scratches.

Buy it!

refinish the stock like Eb says, I won’t tell.

So tempted....only thing giving me pause is lack of ammo.  I can get ammo for my Nambu easier

3 hours ago, Rarecat said:

So tempted....only thing giving me pause is lack of ammo.  I can get ammo for my Nambu easier

Every person that has a "Spitfire" that I know of "roll their own." I have the dies and equipment and I made several hundred but I lucked out last year and bought a bunch of reloaded ammo from a guy who had contacted Ed, who made a post about it here. There are pictures on another thread. The ammo is out there commercially from custom ammo shops, but it isn't cheap. Hence I made my own for a bit. I'm still waiting for the headspace gauges I ordered at the beginning of December.

I hear ya EB but I don't reload and am not ready to venture down that rabbit hole...... I'd gladly pay you handsomely to roll me some rounds

I and my son are endeavoring to set up for reloading, the 5.7 spitfire is on our list. A retired marine friend of mine is selling me his Dillon and going to include some lessons with it. The transaction is currently held up by a mysterious illness he has that they are now calling Gulf war syndrome. Hopefully his health returns soon. He and his family have given much in service.

I have an m2 Carbine so I can produce casings quickly (easy part), learning to do everything correctly is the slow part.

For those following along, I decided to take a pass on the Spitfire.  Saturday I finally picked up my Semi Auto JLMG and it's got a feed issue which might require a replacement mag assembly.....so my pennies will be saved to get the LMG functioning correctly.  I understand @Joseph Scott might have a replacement assembly available so I'm trying to reach him to acquire it

658444565.jpg

My wife would have strangled me but I'd have bid on that "Spitfire" however didn't want to step on anyones toes. Sometimes "want" is stronger than "need."

And Phil I'd recommend learning to anneal brass. The 5.7 really needs to be annealed for forming from .30 carbine for more than a single use or split cases during forming.

There’s alot i need to learn , unfortunately my forget rate is overtaking my learn rate.

2 hours ago, matconcrete said:

There’s alot i need to learn , unfortunately my forget rate is overtaking my learn rate.

Well buddy, welcome to the years of mental searching. Once I thought I knew everything of consequence, I eventually earned I didn't know what I thought I knew. There are the simple methods for annealing (in any "good" reloading book), and there are the machines made to do so. I bought one, but really haven't even used it other than to see how it worked as I've acquired "enough" ammo to last me quit a time.

When first working with 5.7MMJ I had little ammunition, and I've been reloading for awhile. So I cold formed 100 .30 Carbine to 5.7MMJ and loaded the cases. I had 4 out of 50 split during forming (and replaced those), and at least 1 out of five split upon firing. No, I did not keep track of head stamps, age, or prior use. That would be too much to ask.

Definitely will learn the process , thanks