lemmy

Johnson Rifle on TV

26 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Not sure if this has been covered before, if it has, my apologies. I couldn't find anything in a search, but I do remember an in-depth thread on Johnsons in movies and TV that I also couldn't find.

Anyway, I was watching a 1971 episode of Doctor Who (don't judge) and there were at least 4.

Below are some stills I captured and a link to the episode. They show up around 19:50

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x740m5s

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

I loved the Tom Baker "Dr. Who." Good stuff.

Years ago I came across a internet data base of guns used on screen. It was before my JSAR phase so I don’t know if there are any listed. I’ll try to find it again. 

Thanks for the link Art. Sometimes I fail to remember all of the various sources we have on the internet.

Hmmmm.....I just can't help it....ArtR's post could be called an: "Art-link-letter"

Dr Who and Art Linkletter? Not sure whats going on here.

Tanker....wheeee...."Kids say the darnedest things"

Looks a little on the rough side. The internals and bore are good, though? If you haven't posted this before, it would be nice to start a new thread and post pictures so we can see the details of your JSAR clearly. Thanks!

7 hours ago, WHIG said:

Looks a little on the rough side. The internals and bore are good, though? If you haven't posted this before, it would be nice to start a new thread and post pictures so we can see the details of your JSAR clearly. Thanks!

That's a "Rubber Duck," not a functioning rifle.

The real question should be: How did you get lucky enough to get your hands on a movie prop? Often times, prop departments are very reluctant  to release items. Sometimes for them it is harder to obtain the real item to make the molds. A lucky find for sure. That is a "true wall hanger"!!!!

5 hours ago, ArtR said:

The real question should be: How did you get lucky enough to get your hands on a movie prop? Often times, prop departments are very reluctant  to release items. Sometimes for them it is harder to obtain the real item to make the molds. A lucky find for sure. That is a "true wall hanger"!!!!

"Rubber Ducks" were once used in military training when the use of the rifle didn't need shooting. Expendable "firearms." They were also used during drill and ceremonies so those using the rifles didn't need go to the Arms Room and sign out a rifle. They look fine at a short distance. While the M1 and M14 were before my time when I was stationed at Ft. Ord California in the early 70's we often used a "Rubber Duck" M16 for training during BCT and parades. It's conjecture, but some could have been made during WWII for the Johnson, but I doubt it. I recall there was a company I read of once that produced nothing but "Rubber Ducks" for the police, military, and others.

As for "How did you get lucky enough to get your hands on a movie prop" I can offer that once one of my nieces (wife's side) landed a role as an extra when "The Postman" with Kevin Costner was filmed in central Oregon. They hired a lot of extras that had horses and knew how to to ride. When it was all said and done she "souvenir'ed" an M14 "Rubber Duck" prop that the extras had carried for the big combined mounted "rebel" scenes. She showed it to me once when we were visiting after the movie had been released. I might have to ask if she still has it.

I believe "taharad" was being facetious regarding it being able to actually function and making a joke. I knew it to be what it was first glance.

I once saw a really nice M1 replica, which was surprisingly detailed, however, the paint was wearing thin in many places. I did hold a nice M1 Carbine at a gun show, but the guy wanted nearly as much for it as for a real one.

2 hours ago, Blueheeler said:

The prop guns are made of resin. I have a Garand used in the HBO series The Pacific mounted in my jeep's gun rack.

Every prop gun I've ever seen was made of resin. They are only called "Rubber Ducks." Where, why, or how the term was coined beats me.

If you are interested in selling that replica, let me know.  Ed J

24 minutes ago, taharad said:

If you want to see a real Johnson used in a movie, check out a film "Assembly" by Feng Xioogang.

Is it available on NetFlix? I'm just messing with you. It's not. There is a minute and a half "Blip" on YouTube, but other than that probably not.

Hey Ed,

Go to International Military Antiques (IMA) website. They have multiple “rubber duck” rifles in stock. Most of them they know what movies they were used in.

Wayne

I tried that site, but everything seems to be out of stock

That’s interesting, I just got an ad from them this morning listing all of the rubber ducks they had for sale?? As of this morning, they had M1’s, M14’s and M16’s. Guess they sold quickly?

They still have some AK, M14, and M16A2, but all the others are sold out. Most of the stuff they get they only have one or two of so it goes quick. Even though most of it is over priced.

7 hours ago, Imgone said:

They still have some AK, M14, and M16A2, but all the others are sold out. Most of the stuff they get they only have one or two of so it goes quick. Even though most of it is over priced.

$350.00 for a plastic M14 isn't cheap. And, just saying, but $350.00 for a "toy" isn't in my scheme of collectibility.

However my niece still has that prop M14. And intends on keeping it.