Tatereater

Advice requested

20 posts in this topic

Evening,

I recently acquired a sporterized Johnson. Took the scope and plate off and found a bit of a mess, so I cleaned and sanded the rust off. I am at a bit of a loss though what to do now. 

Finding a proper sight has proven less than fruitful. Managed to get the elevator, but no luck on the sight.

Any advice on an alternative would be greatly appreciated.

C3531DA9-F146-483D-984A-C18BC3899A29.jpeg

1AAD06F1-AD1A-4BCC-9387-0EC892626B28.jpeg

1DDF8E6F-DAC7-48EB-B380-138730017B8A.jpeg

D8B6318E-D2BF-4BB1-B7FE-472CC81F62EE.jpeg

You are left with 4 screw holes that are drilled and tapped. The rear would be the best to use to see if a standard commercial sight would be mounted fit into the hole securely and provide you with decent sight adjustable ranges.. I'm not sure if any Johnson sight would work. Lets' see what other readers might suggest.

I would find a nice base and scope to mount on your sporterized JSAR. Then you can shoot it, enjoy it and look at it without throwing up. Looks nice otherwise.

It looks like half of the front mounting location was ground off so a stock sight leaf wouldn't work as it sits.  If it were mine, I'd accept that it's a sporter, remount a scope and enjoy it as is.  If you want a Military Configuration JSAR, save up and buy a correct one to complement your Sporter.  I have both

Yeah. Hadn’t realized how much they altered the receiver until I took the exiting plate off. Thinking I may order a weaver rail and maybe put an m1 carbine rear sight on it.

Plan on stripping it down this week and giving it a thorough cleaning.

39 minutes ago, Rarecat said:

It looks like half of the front mounting location was ground off so a stock sight leaf wouldn't work as it sits.  If it were mine, I'd accept that it's a sporter, remount a scope and enjoy it as is.  If you want a Military Configuration JSAR, save up and buy a correct one to complement your Sporter.  I have both

That’s not a bad idea either.

Thanks everyone.

The following information is provided from the production logs:

Receiver SN 4802, Received From: Cranston Arms, Date Received 1/12/1942, Stock No. none Barrel No. 2885E, Hammer Block No. 5952, Hammer No. 7613, Bolt No. 8671, Locking Cam No. 7315, Firing Pin No. 8709,  Extractor No. 3335,  Magazine No. 5759, Disposition Date 1/13/1942, Transferred to J.A. Inc - N.P.C

Without proper and reliable provenance, be very careful about claims of both ownership and usage.

The missing rear sight dovetail can be replaced by attaching a piece with screws and epoxy to secure it from moving when installing new sight.  The tricking part is getting the gap correct.  Measuring a dovetail involves using two small drills in dovetail and measuring between them.  It helps to have another gun to compare.  Be sure screws don't interfere with bolt.  

On 1/2/2023 at 9:36 PM, Rarecat said:
11 hours ago, Joseph Scott said:

The missing rear sight dovetail can be replaced by attaching a piece with screws and epoxy to secure it from moving when installing new sight.  The tricking part is getting the gap correct.  Measuring a dovetail involves using two small drills in dovetail and measuring between them.  It helps to have another gun to compare.  Be sure screws don't interfere with bolt.  

I would go that route if I had more experience with metal working. Going to try the rail and an M1 carbine peep sight for the time being. Figure that will at least let me shoot it and then tinker around and boost my skill and confidence with metal.

5 hours ago, taharad said:

If you want it the gun restored, call Miltech.

Looked at their prices. They are rather high.

On 1/4/2023 at 7:16 AM, Joseph Scott said:

I can see that I'm not the only one to think of replacing the rear piece of the dovetail. I actually drew up a diagram to show you my thoughts...but then I hit a wrong key on the computer and lost the message. Since Joe already posted the same procedure, I dropped the idea. Just in case, here it is again. At least this is what I'd try to do.

sight or scope mount area.JPG

15 minutes ago, Tatereater said:

Thank you for the diagram. It is definitely worth a try.

You are certainly welcome! If you don't have access to a milling machine, you could use a dremel tool and take your time.

Joe suggested using a screw in an existing hole and some type of epoxy. You sure couldn't hurt the receiver that way. A good TIG welder could do the job too. I would make the dovetail a bit tight and file to fit after attaching it. One of the members here made his own bayonet lug and did an excellent job.

There is a lot to be said about putting the scope back on and letting it be just what it is...A "SPORTER" and enjoy it as is. Most of the guys here eventually get a sporter. Nice Winfield Sporters are increasing in value too.

Edited by M48TANKER
maybe the best idea

Good evening. So I bought one of these sights,

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005844592

Nice simple m1 carbine peep sight, but it has a 1/2” dovetail that runs perpendicular to the barrel.

Now the pickle is finding a rail or a plate with a cutout for it. Does that type of cut have a different name than “dovetail”?

The few bars/rails I have found run parallel to the barrel. 

I like that one. I had bought a weaver rail because the site I got the m1 sight from said it was a weaver connection. Guess I misread it or there are different types of weaver mounts.