Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Popsmoke2

Stock Opinions

8 posts in this topic

Picked this up 15+ years ago. Seemed to me to be original JSAR wood, or at least not an obvious commercial replacement. I assumed it was discarded due to the chip on the end (even though I believe the chip would be gone when finished).  Looking for any thoughts. I did send photos to Mr. Joe Scott. I will reveal his comments a few posts in (if he doesn't chime in). 

Thank you.

R/Matt

Chip.jpg

Side by side.jpg

Front_2.jpg

Top.jpg

Under.jpg

Has the hole for the mainspring tube been drilled yet? The stock looks like it will take a skilled woodworker to make it usable, but there seems to be hope for it.

That piece of wood is so close to being a valuable Johnson stock. For me the mainspring tube hole would be the most tedious part...if only I had a "jig":rolleyes:

Has anyone on this board ever come up with a "jig"/"fixture" to drill the mainspring tube hole? I have the drill motors and the long bits to do the job and lots of clamps. I have a lathe and milling machine, but not the knowledge of how to make a solid set-up to drill the hole. I can, however, follow instructions and recreate a jig I have seen.

I want to be able to drill that hole! :D I can cut off the front and the back end, and set the stock up in my milling machine with a router type bit to inlet the trigger group, buttplate, and sling swivel...so I'm almost there.

I think Joseph Scott has a jig to drill the recoil spring hole.Judging from the second picture,that stock looks like it would be little too skinny in the front belly part after being cut to the proper length. 

Drilling the through hole from the rear is fairly easy.  The hard drill is the one from the receiver end.  It is just below the thru hole and makes a figure 8 with the top thru hole.  The drill wants to run out into upper drilling.  It only goes about halfway just past the small recoil key. The wood must be carved just so to fit the jig and so the cross hole for the small recoil key intersects the notch on recoil tube.  Actually these steps critical and my fixture has hardened drill bushings for each location. I bought the fixture from a person who had it built by an aerospace company during a downturn  It took me a year to work out the kinks.  Trying to teach my wife to be my eyes and continue stock making.

Why could you not drill the receiver end hole first, and then drill the butt end hole second? Or am I missing something?