ArtR

4-16-2023 New link for items seen

96 posts in this topic

Other than what ArtR mentioned, looks like a pretty honest rifle.  Although with a starting bid that high, I'd like to have seen a bayonet lug.

14 hours ago, tinsoldier said:

Although with a starting bid that high, I'd like to have seen a bayonet lug.

There have been several items up for bid at much higher starting prices, and most of those have all languished there with no bids. The past several JSAR's, which did sell,  were all 'penny' auctions, and most settled around $9-10K. That is, no one is willing to bid higher. They sold for what can be assumed is the current  acceptable  'going price' for an average rifle. Next week, next month, next year, that could all change....up or down. An item  is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Prices for many mil surp rifles stabilizing and even dropping a little in the past 6 months or so. My theory is that people's free covid money from the govt has dried up and less discretionary spending money is in pocket. Reality has set in with inflation hitting us real hard everywhere!

I agree with you WHIG. Finding parts for my various projects has gotten very expensive.

Hoping some of the Milsurp does come back down. $1000 for an SKS is just silly :)

Ryche

Others may chime in, but bayo and scabbard look original enough.  As for some of the 'story' in the sellers description, without documentation/provenance, take it all with a grain of salt. Seems pretty steep to me, but who knows? While you might pay that, you cannot guarantee that you will get that in return. An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Price is a little steep, but looks pretty honest.  Most of the bayo sales on ebay these days are falling in the mid $500.00 range.  On the other hand, if the numbers match your rifle, that's almost a must a have in my mind.  I do know the seller (his son pretty much runs the business now), and have bought many M1 parts, and even a couple rifles from him over the last 30 yrs.  Never been disappointed.  

Remember....bayonets were never numbered at the factory....all numbers were added later by others...for totally unknown reasons

No argument there ArtR, just speaking to the fact that it would be unique to have the two together.  

SN B2141 seen on Morphys Auctions sporter

SN B0498 seen on Morphys Auctions military

Thanks to ArtR for posting these.  As always, it will be interesting to see where the bidding ends up. 

It is true that the bayonets were not numbered at the JAMCO factory.  The numbers were most likely applied by the Dutch to correspond with the rifles to which the bayonets were intended to be mated.  A typical European practice.

SN A2774 penny auction on GunBroker, already several bids. Has painted mag housing, appears missing both front recoil stop/screws? Stock has a definite "2". Bayonet lug and front site pins look unbuggered. Most of the screw heads look decent. Metal looks clean. Stock has a few minor dents/scratches, does not look refinished.  Sold 8/20/2023 $11,150

SN B5183 seen on Proxibid (RIA) , Last seen RIA auction 2013

Also found on iCollector.com  SN B8433. A possible ????

From listing:
JOHNSON AUTOMATICS. MODEL: 1941 BLANK FIRE CUSTOM . CALIBER: .30-06 SPRG. BORE IS NA. THIS IS A HEAVILY MODIFIED 1941 JOHNSON, FITTED FOR BLANK FIRE ONLY, WITH A CUSTOM SHORTER BARREL, NO SIGHTS, VENTED FRONT BARREL SHROUD, RECEIVER HAS BRAISED ON TWO PIECE SCOPE BASES, REAR OF RECEIVER STAMPED FOR BLANK FIRE ONLY, INCLUDES COMPLETE BOLT, SOME TRIGGER MECH PARTS, NO STOCKS, NO MAGAZINE OR BUTT PLATE. METAL FINISH SHOWS PITTING, LIGHT RUST SPECKLES, HANDLING MARKS AND WEAR. ACTION: SEMI AUTOMATIC RIFLE . BARREL LENGTH: 14.5". SERIAL# B8433. CONDITION: 2/10. CLASS: CANADIAN NON RESTRICTED

I saw that too but was shamelessly trying to keep it to myself :)  if the price is right I hope to snag that and find out... Looks like it would have the two collars needed to assemble a new barrel.

On 8/15/2023 at 6:17 PM, Ww2Collector said:

What does everyone think about the one on morphyauction https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/c-fine-johnson-model-1941-semi-automatic-rifle_6A04CC793F/

Does anything on it look wrong or not original?

It looks great to me. Well worth the current bid of $5000.00 and a lot more. I would like to see the markings on the barrel to be sure it's original. The position of the bolt indicates that it is equipped with the "Bolt hold open" device. The only thing I noticed is that the forestock has some sort of "reinforcing pin" installed. This is evident on both sides.

(I couldn't get a good picture of it and sorry for the blurry photo)

auction reinforcing pin.jpg

4 hours ago, M48TANKER said:

It looks great to me. Well worth the current bid of $5000.00 and a lot more. I would like to see the markings on the barrel to be sure it's original. The position of the bolt indicates that it is equipped with the "Bolt hold open" device. The only thing I noticed is that the forestock has some sort of "reinforcing pin" installed. This is evident on both sides.

(I couldn't get a good picture of it and sorry for the blurry photo)

auction reinforcing pin.jpg

Good eyes, I didn't notice that. I do have a question regarding stocks. I've seen quite a few with a "different grain" right before or after the magazine, like this picture. Are these repairs of some kind of is that just the way the stock is?

Screenshot_20230818_034712_Samsung Internet.jpg

Mike:

As for the stocks, what you are seeing are the 'stock cheeks'. The JSAR stock is thicker most and made from a wider thickness of wood. In an effort to cut costs, Johnson Automatics  began to use regular thickness stock wood and glue on pieces needed for the one area (by the magazine) that needed a thicker section. When you get your copy of the book, you will be able to read all about this.

40 minutes ago, ArtR said:

Mike:

As for the stocks, what you are seeing are the 'stock cheeks'. The JSAR stock is thicker most and made from a wider thickness of wood. In an effort to cut costs, Johnson Automatics  began to use regular thickness stock wood and glue on pieces needed for the one area (by the magazine) that needed a thicker section. When you get your copy of the book, you will be able to read all about this.

That makes sense. Thank you! Are those stocks just as durable as the other type? Are those "cheeks" prone to coming off?

On 8/13/2023 at 10:56 AM, ArtR said:

SN A2774 penny auction on GunBroker, already several bids. Has painted mag housing, appears missing both front recoil stop/screws? Stock has a definite "2". Bayonet lug and front site pins look unbuggered. Most of the screw heads look decent. Metal looks clean. Stock has a few minor dents/scratches, does not look refinished.

SN B5183 seen on Proxibid (RIA) , Last seen RIA auction 2013

How hard is it to obtain the recoil stop screws or have them duplicated?

1 hour ago, Ww2Collector said:

That makes sense. Thank you! Are those stocks just as durable as the other type? Are those "cheeks" prone to coming off?

For the most part, the 'cheeks' are very durable, but....as with any 'glued' part, they are subject to failure. If one should come off, today's modern glues will meet or surpass any 1940's glue.

1 hour ago, JSDKMS said:

How hard is it to obtain the recoil stop screws or have them duplicated?

Sometimes available from Numrich (gunpartscorp). I am not sure how different from the rear/butt recoil stop screw, but someone might know. It has always sort of amazed me that they would have 2 different screws/stops, when it comes to ease of manufacture and parts purchasing.