Warpath

M1941 JSAR Barrel 19.25 inches long!

12 posts in this topic

M1941 JSAR Barrel 19.25 inches long! I had a rifle with this barrel and never noticed it was too short until I put three together on my wall. BIG shock! I replaced the barrel, and here is the short one. Any clue other than someone just decided to one shorter?

M1941 JSAR Barrel 19.25 Inch (2).jpg

M1941 JSAR Barrel 19.25 Inch (3).jpg

M1941 JSAR Barrel 19.25 Inch (4).jpg

M1941 JSAR Barrel 19.25 Inch (5).jpg

M1941 JSAR Barrel 19.25 Inch (6).jpg

M1941 JSAR Barrel 19.25 Inch (7).jpg

M1941 JSAR Barrel 19.25 Inch (8).jpg

M1941 JSAR Barrel 19.25 Inch (10).jpg

M1941 JSAR Barrel 19.25 Inch (11).jpg

M1941 JSAR Barrel 19.25 Inch (12).jpg

It's an original barrel, but why it shorter?

Those sight and bayonet pins have certainly been removed and replaced and then sanded to remove rough spots from the shifted pins. Someone wanted a shorter barrel and cut it down a bit and replaced the hardware, it looks.

I've always suspected that the barrels were shortened to eliminate excessive muzzle erosion. Usually the shortened barrels will show signs of "Bubba-like" gunsmithing in the repositioning of the front sight and bayonet lug. (Don't get me wrong, I really like Bubba...at least he tries)

The taper pins are the dead give-away. I believe that the workers at the plant assembling the original barrels were more professional installing these pins. They are tapered for a reason. A tight taper pin does not have to be "staked" to keep it in place.

:D All that being said, perhaps the barrels were short to begin with and Bubba only replaced the front sight and bayonet lug?:rolleyes:

Compare the following photos:

The photos you posted:

Johnson sight and bayonet lug replacement by Bubba.JPG

Side view of bubba's front sight and bayonet lug installation.JPG

Johnson barrel shortened and sight and bayonet bubba-ed.JPG

====================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Sorry for the poor quality pictures showing better "craftsmanship" below.

Front sight and bayonet lug.jpgBarrel 1.jpg

Same idea. I just took some pictures of my JSAR's front hardware to show the pins better for comparison. (Maybe a little clearer!)

DSCN9003.JPG

DSCN9005.JPG

Thanks for the input. There is no doubt the sight was altered, of course, but the crown looks fine. It's just an odd one that will have to move on now.

Warpath I noticed something about the machining on your front sight. Yours has what looks like machining to prevent glare? Some kind of early/late variation of this part?

20230722_200345.jpg

It is interesting to note the machining lines on the first front sight are horizontal and the machining lines are vertical on the second sight.