Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed Johnson

Death of M.M. J. Jr's oldest son

11 posts in this topic

To all......this has been a long day..

We learned earlier today that my older brother, Melvin Maynard Johnson III, first son of the late M.M.Johnson Jr., had finally passed away just after his 88th birthday after a long illness. He had been living with his daughter, Shannon, near Philadelphia for several years following his retirement from the Boston Globe. My daughter Lacy and I will miss Mel very much, most especially his very sharp sense of humor and sense of life's absurdities. In these later years, he always got me laughing during our many phone calls.

Mel was Harvard educated, like Dad, and was a well known feature writer at the Globe during his earlier years before helping to manage the entertainment sections of the paper. He interviewed interesting celebrities, including Victor Borge (who enjoyed talking with Mel very much) and jazz singer Mel Torme (who happened to be a big fan of the Johnson Rifle!).

And, during an initial attempt to help publish the Johnson book back in the late 1970's and early 1980's, my brother also edited the material that was initially carried in two issues of American Rifleman back then based on material researched by Robert Lamoreaux and myself.. All of this effort was later modified for the "Johnson Rifles and Machine Gun" book authored by Bruce Canfield and published by Stuart Mowbray in 2002 and  2006.

A sad day, indeed, to finally loose a brother and friend.    Ed J

Edited by Ed Johnson
help

Deepest sympathy and prayers for you and your family. 

I too lost my older brother recently, it's never easy losing someone.  Very sorry for your loss Ed.

Frank

Thank you all very much for your condolences. My daughter and I will be attending Mel's services on Saturday 9/16/23 in PA with other members of the family.  Ed J