ArtR

01/03/2024 New Link For Items Seen

75 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, JSDKMS said:

I thought it would go higher than that. It is an interesting and historic piece.

HMMMM - If that was issued to the Marines, it either saw no use or was redone after? Just IMHO

This rifle shows none of the typical Marine front and rear sight mods. It doesn't look like a gun that saw hard service in the South Pacific.

What do you guys think about the three on Proxibid (Centurion Auctions)?

I’m looking hard at s/n 1890. I see the front sight wings are filed off, so as a former Marine, I’m hoping it would be one that my brothers used. 

Hey guys: BE CAREFUL !

Just because a rifle is 'modified' does not mean it was a WWII modification. Without genuine provenance, it is all just a story. "Buy the gun, not the story" as the wise ones say. IMHO, any rifle complete with no modifications is better than one that may be a bubba special. A file in anyone's hands can do the same. AND, it is nearly impossible to find parts to restore some of these modifications. Original front and rear sights today are in short supply.

1 hour ago, ArtR said:

Hey guys: BE CAREFUL !

Just because a rifle is 'modified' does not mean it was a WWII modification. Without genuine provenance, it is all just a story. "Buy the gun, not the story" as the wise ones say. IMHO, any rifle complete with no modifications is better than one that may be a bubba special. A file in anyone's hands can do the same. AND, it is nearly impossible to find parts to restore some of these modifications. Original front and rear sights today are in short supply.

No, I firmly understand that. It’s far from my first rodeo in the milsurp world, but I am curious about that one, as it caught my eye. Other than the sight, is there anything else that is questionable?

1 hour ago, JAG2955 said:

No, I firmly understand that. It’s far from my first rodeo in the milsurp world, but I am curious about that one, as it caught my eye. Other than the sight, is there anything else that is questionable?

JAG,

That is a nice looking rifle. All the screw heads I could see look great. The finish on the wood looks nice and the parkerizing looks good too.(or maybe TOO good?)

The stamping looks a bit "worn" and that leads me to think the "parkerizing" job might be "post war."  The finish on the wood doesn't appear to have sustained much battle damage. On the left rear of the buttstock, adjacent to the butt plate, there appear to be a couple of small cracks beginning. Of course the front sight has been altered but the rear sight looks original. Sometimes the rear sight was cut in half at the peep hole and/or was filed to a "V"

All in all the rifle doesn't appear to be a "battlefield pickup" and is pleasing to the eye. If you like it, you can make up your own story about previous usage when you show it to your friends!:D

I remembered a photo  in "Adriaan's Toys" album on this website. I'm not going to question this old war horse's past.

Adriaan's Toys.JPG

49 minutes ago, M48TANKER said:

JAG,

That is a nice looking rifle. All the screw heads I could see look great. The finish on the wood looks nice and the parkerizing looks good too.(or maybe TOO good?)

The stamping looks a bit "worn" and that leads me to think the "parkerizing" job might be "post war."  The finish on the wood doesn't appear to have sustained much battle damage. On the left rear of the buttstock, adjacent to the butt plate, there appear to be a couple of small cracks beginning. Of course the front sight has been altered but the rear sight looks original. Sometimes the rear sight was cut in half at the peep hole and/or was filed to a "V"

All in all the rifle doesn't appear to be a "battlefield pickup" and is pleasing to the eye. If you like it, you can make up your own story about previous usage when you show it to your friends!:D

I remembered a photo  in "Adriaan's Toys" album on this website. I'm not going to question this old war horse's past.

Adriaan's Toys.JPG

I agree. The wood is too cherry to have been used much, if at all. I see more darkening on the pistol grip, which is to be expected, being the area that is handled the most. Many of my milsurps exhibit the same darkening on that area, even if stripped and re-oiled. Maybe a refinished stock, possibly with some sanding done(?). There’s some finish loss on the sharp edges of the metal, which is to be expected of anything that is handled much, along with what may be newer scratches on the barrel. 

My biggest concern about 1890 is it looks like it has some extra stampings on the opposite side from the Cranston arms.  The rear sight had been removed, why and was it installed correctly.   Also the wood to metal fit looks fair to good, but at the tail end the picture cuts it off and quite see if it’s proper.  (See pictures) 

IMG_8178.jpeg

IMG_8179.jpeg

IMG_8180.jpeg

9 hours ago, JAG2955 said:

What do you guys think about the three on Proxibid (Centurion Auctions)?

Looking at the others listed on Proxibid (Centurion): A0494  is missing the bayo lug, butt plate, and rear swivel, that I can see right off. B6447 I am wondering about what looks like a crack in the comb, on the left side??  B1331 also appears to have missing ears, bayo lug, and what appears like a sporter butt pad  and plugged recoil screw hole(s).

14 hours ago, camstuff said:

My biggest concern about 1890 is it looks like it has some extra stampings on the opposite side from the Cranston arms.  The rear sight had been removed, why and was it installed correctly.   Also the wood to metal fit looks fair to good, but at the tail end the picture cuts it off and quite see if it’s proper.  (See pictures) 

I noticed the stampings as well, but the proxibid pics aren't clear enough that I can discern what they say.  I agree with M48TANKER, the parkerizing may be post war - it could just be the quality of the photos and lighting, but it looks very similar in color to my A prefix rifle that Rarecat once owned.  He and I both agree that mine was reparked.  Of course, having the rifle in your hands will tell all.  It sure is nice looking.  

9 hours ago, tinsoldier said:

I noticed the stampings as well, but the proxibid pics aren't clear enough that I can discern what they say.  I agree with M48TANKER, the parkerizing may be post war - it could just be the quality of the photos and lighting, but it looks very similar in color to my A prefix rifle that Rarecat once owned.  He and I both agree that mine was reparked.  Of course, having the rifle in your hands will tell all.  It sure is nice looking.  

I kind of think that 1890 has been reparked as well.  I looked at the others on Proxy bid and saw one that looked correct, but missing some parts and I think the stock was cracked.  

In spite of all of "our" criticisms, I'd be happy to own all of these rifles...at some? price.:D

If you ask us for our opinion, that is a challenge to find all of it's faults and good points too, so you can make an informed decision.

12 minutes ago, M48TANKER said:

In spite of all of "our" criticisms, I'd be happy to own all of these rifles...at some? price.:D

If you ask us for our opinion, that is a challenge to find all of it's faults and good points too, so you can make an informed decision.

No argument there, to me, a nice JSAR is a nice JSAR.  "NICE" can have multiple definitions.  Nice restoration, nice battlefield condition, nice near mint high condition, etc.

We're not trying to beat up on the rifle you like.

SN A0444 seen on Gun Broker, only 2 low res photos. Appears full military

BIN price of only $6500.00, the only caveat is the seller states no detailed pics available until well after the auction ends, states gun is "in storage".  Tough to make a serious determination on 2 photos.

1 hour ago, tinsoldier said:

BIN price of only $6500.00, the only caveat is the seller states no detailed pics available until well after the auction ends, states gun is "in storage".  Tough to make a serious determination on 2 photos.

AGREED - Something is off here!

1 hour ago, tinsoldier said:

If it in storage, when did he take the 2 pictures? Strange!

1 hour ago, JSDKMS said:

AGREED - Something is off here!

If it in storage, when did he take the 2 pictures? Strange!

Yes, makes me wonder if he's "pre-selling" for someone else.  Why not wait until it's in your hands to list it?

Someone bought it for $6500, the buy it now price. 

WOW! that was quick, hopefully they'll end up on here, if they're not already, and we can all get a closer look.

SN A0444 was reported back in Feb 2022 by a member and stated that it was in excellent condition. We shall see.

Pic showing the bore looks like 40 miles of bad road as well.

I could live with the muzzle reading of 2, I've got Garands 2+ or 3, and they shoot better than I can see.    

On 2/12/2024 at 0:08 PM, tinsoldier said:

May well be legit, but that listing has some red flags,  low volume seller inactive for some time until now who suddenly lists several expensive guns. Could be a collector selling out but that type of profile has been seen before in scam listings.

16 minutes ago, Blueheeler said:

May well be legit, but that listing has some red flags,  low volume seller inactive for some time until now who suddenly lists several expensive guns. Could be a collector selling out but that type of profile has been seen before in scam listings.

As camstuff pointed out, somebody bit the bullet and went for the BIN.  About a month before I bought my first JSAR, a fellow GCA member listed one in the marketplace ads of our journal, which I scour as fast as I can tear open the envelope.  I knew him, and had bought from him before, sight unseen.  He described it as excellent original condition, as was everything else he offered.  It got snapped up before I finished typing my email saying I'd take it.  Price: $6500.00, this was late 2021.  Someone got a really nice rifle at what I'd consider bargain price.  One of many tales I have of the 'one that got away'.  But I agree with you, strange circumstances here, enough to make one think twice.