Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
canon3825

7mm Johnson Rifle

13 posts in this topic

I have inherited a rifle from my wife's grandfather's collection. He passed away over 20 years ago. My wife's grandmother has moved into assisted living, so the firearms collection is being broken up. Since the family knows that I enjoy collecting military firearms, they gave me the Johnson Rifle. The receiver reads:

CAL.30-06 SEMI-AUTO.

"JOHNSON AUTOMATICS"

MODEL OF 1941

MADE IN PROVIDENCE, R.I.,U.S.A.

61XX

The parts are numbered as follows:

Trigger Frame 6205

Hammer 9293

Drum Mag A3644

Link and Locking Cam 6323

Bolt 7634

Firing Pin 3959

Extractor 5307

Barrel which is marked "CAL. 7m/m" 5770E

On the bottom it is marked "NAVY ARMS CO.,RIDGEFIELD,N.J. U.S.A."

The stock has a "L" and a larger "I" next to the drum mag and a "4." at the bottom of the pistol grip and the left side of the stock which look like the military configuration stocks on the site. There are a few nicks here and there with a small crack in the middle of the left side that doesn't reach any ending points of the stock.

The rifle came with a simple leather sling and a bayonet with a sheath. The bayonet looks like the originals on the site, but the sheath is very different. Instead of the retaining strap coming straight across, it comes across just above the barrel loop and goes straight down. The end of the sheath is square, being approximately 3/4" straight across with a V-shaped reinforcement. There is a separate flap for the belt loop on the back side. Behind the flap on the sheath are the letters:

EC

AMT

The stuff has been in a gun cabinet at least 20 years. I don't see any pitting. Since none of the parts have the same serial #, I'm guessing this was put together by Navy Arms. Any information about what kind of 7mm ammunition the rifle would take, I would appreciate. Since all the other examples seem to be of 30.06 that's what I thought it was. Sorry, but I can't find my digital camera, so I've got no way to post or send pictures. Thanks again for any info.

Scott

Scott,

Johnsons were assembled without any effort to match part serial numbers, so there is a good possibility the gun is correct. Check back periodically and I am sure the assembly record for your rifle will be posted.

The Chilean model fires 7mm Mauser (7 x 57) ammo. Most likely your rifle is still in original configuration.

Scott,

We will need the full S/N to give you a breakdown as to the original assembly details of your rifle. From the sounds of it you have ex-Chilean JSAR.

The bayonet and sheath are the correct Chilean pattern which differs slightly from the Dutch pattern in the sheath only, as you point out.

Scott,

I'm curious about the "simple leather sling". As the weapon and bayonet sounds well cared for, and a "closet queen", if the sling isn't a USGI 1907, it could be an original Dutch sling. Maybe not, but if you can elaborate in your description of it, we might be able to tell you. Those are very hard to find, and it would a nice find.

Semper Fi,

Rick S.

The serial # is 6177. The brown leather sling has an over all length of 46" and is approximately 1 3/16" wide. There are two brass buttons(like large cufflinks), one for either end. They are to lock two of the 13 holes together to make a loop.

Any suggestions on what to use to preserve the leather in the sheath and sling? How does the 7X57 caliber affect the value? I thought that 7mm Mauser was 7.92X57. Is that correct? If so I could use the surplus ammo in it as long as I cleaned it afterwards?

So the serial #s are for the different parts and have nothing to do with the serial # of the firearm? Especially with the "Navy Arms" on the bottom side of the barrel, I thought they had stripped a bunch of rifles. After going through the binds of parts and separating the good from the bad parts, they just put complete rifles together from the parts. I really appreciate all the information. Thank you very much.

Scott

Scott,

Here is the original production data for your rifle-

Delivered from Cranston Arms to JAMCo. : 1/29/42

Stock: #2

Barrel: 7570E

Hammer Block: 6069

Hammer: 9716

Bolt: 7634

Locking Cam: 6323

Firing Pin: 3959

Extractor: 5307

Magazine: A3644

Delivered from JAMCo. to Johnson Automatics for Govt. of Chile order" 2/3/42

As you can see your rifle is just about out of the factory. Most of the Navy Arms imported guns from Chile are pretty original. Sling is the correct Johnson pattern as well!

Johnson rifles never matched as you can see. The intention probably was to have matching serail numbers but like all good intentions in practice it was not practical for a number of reasons.

Use any good proprietory leather cleaner and preservative on your sling and scabbard. Most car care or saddlery shops have suitable stuff. Get something that feeds the leather as some will dry it out if you are not careful.

Calibre is 7mm Mauser, for which ammo is available from a number of places.

So original rifle, matching sling and bayonet/scabbard. Only 1000 7mm's were produced for the Chilean order.

WOW, that is so cool. Thank you very much! Would you have any idea of the market value of the package might be?? I'm guessing I would need to increase my firearms insurance amount. I thought that 7mm Mauser was 7.92X57. Is that correct? If so I could use the surplus ammo in it as long as I cleaned it afterwards? Thanks again.

Scott

P.S. The bolt doesn't stay open when I pull the bolt back. How would I get the bolt hold open feature to work? And again, thanks for all the help.

7.92 is commonly referred to as 8mm Mauser.

You can get a bot catch from Joe Scott, email is elsewhere on this site. However the Chilean versions may not have been fitted with the catch, as that was a Dutch stipulation in the design. If yours has one and it is not working correctly Joe can advise on a few tips to get it to work,

Is it possible that someone transposed number on the BBL?

Seems too much a coincidence that one owner lists bbl as 7570E and web master reports orig bbl as 5770E.

Seems to me if this rifle is in anywhere near decent condition, considering all the orig parts, it would be a very nice specimen indeed!

Pic's might help in determining a value. If you lived near one of the key site members, they might assist you in putting a better value on the rifle. Do not give your address on this site. Maybe an email exchange between Walt, Joe, or Jim?

Thanks for the picture. I'm sorry but I transposed the barrel #. It is 5770E. Oh well. My guess is the butstock with the fire control must have been swithched. It still had grease in the lug area of the barrel and in the magazine.

Scott

Don't you love the "experimental" tag in the Navy Arms ad for these rifles? And how about "200 made"? Val Forgett didn't do his homework! Nice price for nearly mint condition rifles. Wish I had a time (and money) machine!

I have a Chilean Johnson that was purchased from Navy Arms. I think I paid $500.00 for it, mas o menos. It does have the peculiar sling, reddish brown finish, muzzle cover and bayonet/sheath. My rifle looked to be unused.

Unfortunately, Navy Arms did about the worst job possible in terms of marking the underside of the barrels in giant lettering that really spoiled the rifle. Never seen such an egregious an import mark anywhere. A real shame.

My stock was split at the wrist, very common. It finally came completely apart even though I never fired it. I found a guy in Ft. Myers, FL who made a replacement for me. You can't tell it from the real one, almost.

The barrels for these rifles were made in Mexico. The sleeves were marked 30-06 and the barrels were marked 7mm.

I had the opportunity to buy another 7mm barrel years ago from Armex I think. I looked at the bore and it appeared to be rusty so I stored it away and forgot about it. A couple of years ago, I pulled it out and gave it a good cleaning. Bore is mint. I think the barrel was refinished but I can't be sure.

The Chilean Johnson Rifle story is very interesting.