Matt K.

Barrel for Johnson on eBay

10 posts in this topic

This 7mm barrel is being sold as a Chilean barrel, but it isn't. No markings on the barrel at all (not counting the lug). A real barrel from the Mexican arsenal should be stamped with the arsenal crest, 7 m/m, and a few other marks with "x", etc.

Can this be a Winfield option from the 50s?

7mm Barrel

I'm not sure about this one. I have seen several 7mm JSAR bbls without Chilean (or other) proofs or caliber markings and 2 with LMG sights on them. Back in the 80's Northridge (or it's predecessor) were selling new condition 7mm JSAR bbls for$80 or $100. They had supposedly acquired the Chilean JSAR spare parts inventory. I have one of them with the original receipt (currently mislaid so I'm not sure of the company name). I have compared them side by side and these unmarked bbls are otherwise identical to the ones with 7mm caliber designation and Chilean proofs. Perhaps the spares were unmarked??? They sure don't look like Winfield bbls.

Has anybody owned and shot one of these "no name" 7mm barrels and are they obtainable today? I can't get to Ebay from this PC but as a general question are they out there?

John

I have seen many replacement barrels and none had any markings except two which said "Made in Denmark". Some seemed made from new blanks but most are made from Garand or 03 barrels. I just had one made from 03 six groove barrel. I guess gunsmiths were/are not proud of their work. I mark mine "JS", which are made from new Shilen blanks.

Gentlemen, I own a 7X57 (7mm) barrel and have fired numerous rounds through it, no problem. It is identical to the one shown on this thread. It has the correct front sights and bayo catch. The forward collar is marked .30-06 at the 12 o'clock position and 41 at the six o'clock position. Rear lug on bottom marked 7888E. Chamber side stamped 7m/m, an X with a nondescript item in the upper part of the X, with a ___ and then a G. Then it has a circle with F above an NA. Above the circle is a semi square with a sun burst radiating around it. Then there is two L's arranged almost making a completed square with two parallel lines in the center of the uncompleted square. Those are some proofs huh? Cordially, Alasdair

Alasdair's described marks are on original barrels purchased from the Mexican National Arsenal by Johnson for the Chilean contract. Mine are marked the same, but have Navy Arms import stamps underneath from when they were brought back from Chile.

The barrel on eBay has NO marks (on the barrel itself).

I checked with John Darling, the "go to" guy for JSAR parts for many years. He related the following: Sherwood (forerunner of Northridge) imported a large stock of JSAR spare parts from Chile in the early or mid 80's. (Probably) included in this stock were a number of unmarked 7mm bbls in conditions ranging from mint to rusted. He remembers seeing barrels full of them in the early 90's. The mint ones were $75 each at the time.

Well I bit on this one! Not entirely sure why though. Now I have to prepare to buy and reload another round. Oh well.

I'll try it on my Sporter once I have everything.

Mike

I have the 7mm barrel and have a question. It's much stiffer than the barrel it replaces. Is it typical a new barrel will fit tighter? It's mostly at the "radiator" that it's tight. Should I remove the parking at the baring at the "radiator" point. Sorry for the amateur nominclature.

Mike