Barry in IN

SAR/LMG Barrels

11 posts in this topic

I see an LMG barrel listed for sale on Gunbroker. I don't have an LMG, and can't imagine bidding on it, but looking at it got me wondering: Will the LMG barrel fit/work on a JSAR? Obviously the front sight wouldn't work, but this one doesn't have one, which is what got me thinking about it because it looks so much like a JSAR barrel lying there.

I was considering bidding on it. I don't know if it will fit or not? Someone here will know. TANKER

I won't bid against you. I didn't expect to bid on it anyway, unless it was lying there at the opening price with a few minutes to go. Even if I didn't know I could ever use it, that would be hard to pass up. But it's at $51.76 now- probably still a good price, but more than I want to spend just for the curiosity of it.

I'd still like to sometime find out if it, or any parts of it, are useful on a JSAR though, just for future reference if I run across one.

A 1941 LMG barrel is exactly same as rifle except front sight. I would not bid very high as the rear collar lugs may be impacted. On an original lmg barrel, the sight pin cuts are all on top, the rifle has bayonet lug pins on bottom, sight on top.

Thanks Mr. Scott, I'm going to bid for a little while. Will the pin cuts from the rear leg of the LMG barrel be covered by the JSAR bayonet lug, and will the front JSAR sight cover the pin cuts left by the LMG front sight? Wow....I'm having to learn fast about this stuff. Thanks, Michael Roper

I think the LMG barrel is just about to get out of my price range. What's it worth? The owner says the locking lugs are good?

Barry in IN, well I quit bidding when the barrel started to get over $200.00 I think. :unsure: I appreciate the fact that you said that you would not bid against me...that was very courteous of you. :D It would have been perfectly OK if you had wanted to bid however. That is just the way an auction works: the object may be worth more to one guy than it is to another. I know I've refrained from bidding when my brother is getting a good deal on Gunbroker. You REALLY wouldn't want to bid against my brother, as he'll pay anything just to be the winner! :rolleyes:

An extra barrel would be nice to have but my barrel seems to be practically new. I wouldn't pass up a really cheap bargain however. I'm mainly wanting to get rid of my nice ramped sporter sight and put an original sight and a bayonet lug back on. My present barrel has such a nice blueing job that I thought I might just want to restore an extra barrel.

Thank you too, Mr. Scott for providing the information we needed to make an informed decision. TANKER

I just came on to see if you got it. Sorry you did not. I don't know what it ended up going for.

I'd like to have another barrel just because mine appears to have been a Winfield replacement. But I don't want to spend anything to do it!

And spares of anything are always nice.

Barry, the final bid was $331.00 ...and then there is shipping on top of that. I figure the winner will have $350.00 in it by the time it gets to him. In order to win I would have to bid over the $331.00 and who knows how much it might have taken to outbid the other gentleman? So, I figured that he wanted it more than I did. Then there was the fact that the cross cuts for the bayonet lug and front sight were not going to be right for a JSAR. If I was building the LMG...well maybe the barrel would have been worth more to me. I noticed that the winning bidder was also bidding on a LMG buttstock, so I assumed that he REALLY wanted the barrel. Judging from his feedback lately, he has no qualms about spending whatever it takes to buy what he's bidding on, so I knew he could outbid me. :( When bidding on Gunbroker it sometimes pays to look at the feedback of who you are bidding against and see what sort of merchandise they buy, their patterns and amount of expenditures. I hope that he enjoys his "new" barrel...I really do! :D TANKER

The lack of front sight and bayonet lug (or LMG sight) was not the only problem I saw. The guide collar looked different than the standard guide collar (the front was wider and shiny) and the bbl finish to the rear of the collar was missing. It just did not look right. Also note that the locking collar finish did not look even close to the bbl finish. Even so, it was worth gambling $300 on it...no more. An original JSAR bbl with decent bore will bring $700 and up.