M48TANKER

Changing wood on Johnson JSAR

3 posts in this topic

Hello All, I acquired some "new" wood for my 1941 Johnson. This is "aftermarket" furniture, or the military style Winfield wood. This "new" wood is in near perfect condition...no dings, scratches, and it's got a beautiful finish...too good actually. The hole for the little square steel bar that stops the recoil is not present over the trigger guard area? I realize that I will have to drill a hole over the trigger guard area for the stop that holds the sear housing/trigger housing. I'll have to start a hole the size of the screw head with a flat bit with the anti-chip cutters on the outer edges. Stopping before the bit cuts all the way through. Then, I'll drill a small hole, just undersize of the steel bar, and then square it up. The front wood, or forestock, already has the holes for the square recoil stop bar in it. Now the next part I'll need some information on. The recoil stop/square bar for the spring tube does not seem to be in the right place. The spring tube seems to sit too far back but I don't know what the distance should be. On my complete Johnson the distance from the front of the tube to the rear of the receiver is about 1&3/4 inches, measured at the back of the cut out for the action. On the "new" wood the spring tube is 2 inches back from the same benchmark. The location of the spring tube has a direct relationship to the function of the bolt when it recoils. I already need a new mainspring/recoil spring since mine measures 11&5/8s instead of 12 inches. If I install this recoil spring in the spring tube of the new stock, then the assembly will be even farther back than it is now. The answer seems to be to drill out the plugs on the sides of the "new" stock and reposition the spring tube forward...but how much forward? What is the factory measurement? I've posted some pictures on my "Hunt101" page so you can have a look. A picture is worth a thousand words and easier to attach that to type all this!!! Sorry if my nomenclature is not accurate but I'll learn the names of all the parts eventually. Thanks, TANKER..."michaeleroper@comcast.net"

http://www.hunt101.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=8666&cat=500

You have a difficult problem for the position of the keys (proper term) is critical to proper functioning. The best advice I can offer is to contact Joseph Scott and see if he can cut the slots for you. He has the original "jigs" or fixtures John Darling had made up to make and fit replacement stocks. They are the basis of his "drop in" replacement stocks. I personally have had the opportunity to destroy a couple of 98% inletted replacement JSAR stocks by butchering the keyways.

Getting the recoil keys in the correct position has been the failure of most of the replacement stocks previously available. Most sporter stocks just got close and then epoxied the key wherever. I have the custom engineered drill fixture designed and built by John Darling for drilling the key holes. Most stock makers never understood the design function and criticality of the keys. This is why I sell my stocks prefitted, I know they are right.