mplechaty

Bolt doesn't stay open

8 posts in this topic

I took my newly-aquired Johnson sporter to the range weekend to test fire. Right in the bullseye at 50 yards, so I am happy (or lucky, given my old eyes). The bolt does not stay open after the last shot, however. Not really an issue with me, but I would like to get the rifle working correctly. What typically causes the bolt not to stay open with a Johnson? No plans to return this to military configuration. Thanks.

Hello there, there is likely nothing wrong with your Johnson. :D It's built the way that Melvin Johnson wanted it to be done...no bolt hold-open. But the buyers of some of the guns wanted them to have bolt-hold-open devices....so Melvin gave in :angry2: and put them on there. The BHO is just a small lever like piece that drops in over the hammer and the front take down pin holds it in place. Very ingenious. You can easily put one in there if you want that feature. Joe Scott has them in stock I believe. M48TANKER

There are 2 possibilities: 1.There is no bolt catch installed in the rifle. This was quite common. or 2. The bolt catch is not engaging the magazine carrier properly. This happens when you reassemble the rifle and slide the stock/trigger/sear group into position without first holding the follower in a depressed position.

Remove the bolt stop catch, bolt stop and crosspin and slide the butt stock, trigger and sear block off the receiver (see detailed instructions on the JSAR website). You will see if there is a bolt stop. Refer to the picture in the JSAR website. It is the part surrounding the hammer, being attached to the front of the sear block with a V-notch on its other end. If it is in place, hold the magazine follower depressed 1/2" when you assemble it again and it should hold the bolt back..If the bolt catch is missing, Joseph Scott may have one. He frequently posts on this site.

There are 2 possibilities: 1.There is no bolt catch installed in the rifle. This was quite common. or 2. The bolt catch is not engaging the magazine carrier properly. This happens when you reassemble the rifle and slide the stock/trigger/sear group into position without first holding the follower in a depressed position.

Remove the bolt stop catch, bolt stop and crosspin and slide the butt stock, trigger and sear block off the receiver (see detailed instructions on the JSAR website). You will see if there is a bolt stop. Refer to the picture in the JSAR website. It is the part surrounding the hammer, being attached to the front of the sear block with a V-notch on its other end. If it is in place, hold the magazine follower depressed 1/2" when you assemble it again and it should hold the bolt back..If the bolt catch is missing, Joseph Scott may have one. He frequently posts on this site.

Mine has it. I hear that a lot don't have it.

Another issue has surfaced after another trip to the range, that of cartridges don't stay in the magazine as they are loaded. So, before I go any further, it is time to take the manual & follow the directions to field strip the rifle & see what else is going on.

NOTE to APSS282: sure, I'd be interested in a bolt hold open lever. Tell me more. Email me off sight at mplechaty@earthlink.net if you wish.

Are you loading from stripper clips or single rounds? Sounds like you can use a new mag door spring.

Rgds,

John D.