Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M48TANKER

Transformation

6 posts in this topic

Check out my latest photos. I removed the shiney combed stock and forearm from "My First Johnson" and installed another set of wood. The newly installed buttstock is more like a "military pattern" but I believe it's still one made by Winfield? I need the tiny metal plate that is nailed into the forearm, to secure the front takedown pin. Got to see if Joe has these for sale. If not, I can make one. I'm going to leave the metal blued for now..it's a very good bluing job. Also leaving the "Dahl" ramped front sight for a little while. Someone might want to put it back into the "Sporter" configuration. Sorry about the poor quality pictures...I just can't seem to take good pictures indoors. And the new sling...well it's NEW !!! :rolleyes:

I think I need to bury the sling in the back yard for a month or so. I'll try to find an older looking sling at the next gunshow.

post-695-056210100 1281340837_thumb.jpg

Nice looking wood M48. The rifle just looks better with a military style stock in my opinion. After all it was one of many weapons designed to help defend our freedom in a world at war.

M48Tanker the rifle looks great! Where did you get the new stock? Mr Scott had a repro metal plate for the retaining pin for my stock...but that was a year or so ago. Not sure if he still has any.

And yah I agree the new slings sticks out a bit. hehe :) I bought a Turner M1907 sling that looked like that as well. Looked too new. I hated it. But I looked around the web and found ways to darken and soften the leather sling. Ended up oiling mine, and went from a light tan like yours to a nice dark chocolate color. Now it looks of age...but still not so beat up, cracked, or stained...but I like it.

Tanker,

Where did you get the wood?Was it a blank that you had made or was it bought as a finished stock?It looks like EELL wood from the Beretta Galley !!

RIGUNNER

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I bought the wood as a finished product from a private seller on the internet. I don't know where he got it. It is a beautiful piece of wood! Not an exact duplicate of the "military" stock, but close. Maybe it's a John Darling stock? Does anyone know? There have to be others out there.

If it is a "drop-in" stock which required no adjustments, it is probably a John Darling (or Joseph Scott who bought the jigs when John retired) Joseph's are stamped "JS" under the buttplate. I don't think John's were marked. I have had my share of problems with the so called 98% inletted JSAR stocks from other vendors. They look great on the outside but the recoil tube is very hard to fit and the keys are often in the wrong place or you have to cut them yourself....a daunting task without the necessary jigs.