Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M48TANKER

Firing Pin Retainer Needed

6 posts in this topic

I could use a firing pin retainer (sometimes called the firing pin stop)....the half round cut out part of the bolt, one of mine does not have the spring clip. Thanks.

There are 2 types. The earlier ones are machined with a groove and no clip; the later ones, designed after the NPC rejected them due to problems of them getting lost, are stamped with the spring steel retainer.

Hey Tanker: like the boss said you don't need that little spring clip. None of mine have the clip inside the stop and they all work fine. I think gun parts had the retainers a while back, Have you tried them?

Ryche

So if I understand correctly....the firing pin "retainer" block(half round) is OK even if it just falls out when the bolt is turned over? As opposed to being held in by the clip over the firing pin? Thanks. TANKER

Hey Tanker: when the bolt extension or recoil extension( Agh whats the name) the part the fire pin mounts into. is inserted into the bolt the back sleeve of the bolt keeps the retainer in place. Just be careful when you remove the extension so you don't loose the retainer. All of my extensions show where the retainer was staked with a punch of some sort but they still don't hold tightly and will fall off as soon as they get the chance. Any way that little clip is not essential. Did you check to see if GunParts Corp has any left? I got one from them , but its been a few years back.

Ryche

Per the Johnson "Instruction Manual" you need to take care when removing locking cam from the bolt so that the firing pin stop doesn't drop out of the locking cam. "This can best be accomplished by keeping the cam and bolt assembly upside down during the operation."

As noted above a clip was installed on later models. My A series doesn't have the clip but my B series does. See picture below.

post-729-044029000 1287102261_thumb.jpg