Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M48TANKER

Johnson Barrel on Gunbroker

7 posts in this topic

Congratulations to "frenchy" on the purchase of a 1941 Johnson barrel on Gunbroker. :D The final price was $513.00 and then shipping will be probably around $10.00....quoted to me by "BestMan", the seller, when I inquired about the barrel. I never did bid on it but was prepared to go as high as $300.00.... :rolleyes: hehehe. Guess I would have lost! I might have bid more if "BestMan" had sent me pictures of the bore and chamber, but I never got those. Now, if "g.g.ands" or "paperkiller", or "peggy" or any of the other bidders are still in the market for a decent 1941 JSAR barrel....I've got one. Right now it's still "in the white" and ready to be parkerized or blued. I can and will parkerize it for my own use if I don't sell it first. It has all the correct "attachments" per a military configuration and has not been "messed with". It does still have lands and grooves and the chamber looks nice. The lands and grooves are worn but will still make your cleaning rod turn. So it's a good usable "shooter" grade barrel...not a "like new" barrel however. Externally it's fine and marked "JA" and "30.06" and "41". Plus it has the NPC acceptance star, and the "sword in the circle" seen on Dutch contract barrels. The number on the barrel is 3480E and on the rear collar it's 3470F. I also have a Johnson LMG barrel with all the same markings (numbers are different of course). Both barrels are exactly the same length, the only apparent difference being that the LMG barrel has a LMG sight on the front and it has better rifling. It's also "in the white" and awaiting parkerizing. I don't know if the barrels are supposed to be the same length, but they are. Both chambers look good and the locking lugs appear excellent. I'm wondering however if JSAR and LMG locking lugs fit the same bolt lugs? Can someone enlighten me? I was preparing to parkerize these for my own use, now and in the future, but I don't have an immediate need for either of them. They could eventually wind up on Gunbroker after parkerizing but I'll sell or trade them now if someone really needs one. I guess that $500.00 plus price got me to thinking that I could use the money right now to buy 30.06 M2 ball ammo so I can shoot my other Johnsons. Heck, I was trying to buy up any parts that I could find and I still want to do that, but money talks. "M48TANKER"

Hey Tanker: The barrels are the same between the JSAR and the LMG. The major difference between the two operating systems was the bolt.

You could use an LMG bolt in a rifle but you don't want to go the other way, it would cause a runaway condition. The notches aren't there for the sear to catch. You could use the LMG bbl to make a paracarbine :D They are alot of fun to shoot and turn heads at the range.

Ryche

Ryche, have you got a picture of a "para-carbine"? Now I'm going to need a donor rifle. :o Oh man, I see a LMG in my future.....and this is after I sold my stash of LMG magazines. TANKER

33a3ozt.jpg

This is what a carbine mock up looks like. There is only 1 original known to be in existence and it is owned by Bruce Canfield who featured it in the American Rifleman a couple of years ago. I had this made up several years ago, from the pictures in "the Book".

33a3ozt.jpg

This is what a carbine mock up looks like. There is only 1 original known to be in existence and it is owned by Bruce Canfield who featured it in the American Rifleman a couple of years ago. I had this made up several years ago, from the pictures in "the Book".

Thanks Brian, nice looking rifle! :D

Hey Tanker: Brian beat me to it, but i was going to tell you he has the best i've ever seen. Hopefully mine will look close to that when its done.

I have an LMG lower in rebuild-able shape that will get you started. Then you don,t need a whole rifle, you already have the barrel, all you need will be odd small parts and a good receiver. ( Yeah say all that like the parts are easy to find :lol: ) Let me know if i can help.

Ryche