neisman

Magazine finish.

6 posts in this topic

I have seen light grey/green Parkerizing (most common), black and blue (not the highly polished shiny variety). It seems as the Parkerizing gets older, it grows darker.

Hello,

Yes, I have seen several finishes also with the very dark Blueing being the most common.

I guess I should have been more explicit. I need to know what was original on my A4*** rifle.

Currently everything is parked with the exception of the magazine and the trapdoor.

I need to find out for certain what was original.

Thanks, Karl

I have seen light grey/green Parkerizing (most common), black and blue (not the highly polished shiny variety). It seems as the Parkerizing gets older, it grows darker.

Ther were even some magazines (and rear sights) that were painted with black enamel. When the brazing got out of the joints, they painted items to cover it. I believe the mags might have been sub-contracted to a company called NEI who we know made the LMG mags. Whomever did the sheet metal items were very,very good.

Cosmoline and time is what gave the green hue in gray park. If you look at WWII original firearms that were not stored in cosmoline, they maintained the gray parkerized finish with no green hue. Many folks like the greenish-gray park... I have even seen some folks buying cosmoline and baking it on new parkerized finishes, leaving it on for a week, and then cleaning it off...leaving the finish with the green-gray park.

Hello,

Yes, I have seen several finishes also with the very dark Blueing being the most common.

I guess I should have been more explicit. I need to know what was original on my A4*** rifle.

Currently everything is parked with the exception of the magazine and the trapdoor.

I need to find out for certain what was original.

Thanks, Karl

There are several examples out there that I have seen where the magazine housing and cover were painted black or looked to be a really flat bluing. Typically the ones I have seen were really early models. I would think yours is original even if it is mis-matched with the rest of the gun. I know that would kinda irritate me too wondering if it were original...and I'm sure most folks who don't know Johnsons would think your rifle is UN-original. Got any pics? I would like to see it. :)