Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
powderkeg

Help ID part

13 posts in this topic

Greetings,

Cleaning out junk gun drawers and found this part. It was a spare when I restored my JAR, I just can't remember what it was. Any help appreciated. If anyone needs it, make me an offer.

Thanks,

JeffL

DSCN2947.jpg

Keg,

It's not from any JAR I know of.

Walt

Giving this some thought I recognize it now. I don't know what came over me it's a sperving bearing trunnion attenuator adjuster used to stop sinialsoidal movement along the axis of a long round object.

Yikes,

You guys are making me think I'm losing my mind :-). As I recall the part screwed into another and became an assembly with a spring sliding over the outside. I've provided pictures of the broken part that was replaced and the spring scratches and wear is visible. All help appreciated.

Thanks,

JeffL

DSCN2955.jpg

DSCN2954.jpg

DSCN2951.jpg

It is the body of the buffer assembly. The large screw visable under the butt plate screws into this. Inside is a spring. The actuating part of the buffer protrudes out the front and engages the rear of the follower.

Thanks Brian,

Now I remember where it came from. After I discovered the broken original, I had just about given up finding a reasonable priced replacement part. I met an Iranian machinist who had immigrated to the US in the 80's. He owned a small machine shop specializing in custom small orders, hard to get gun parts, etc. He said he was once an armorer in the Iranian Army. After the US and Iran broke off relations they were forced to make all the replacement parts for their US supplied arms. He made several of them for me overnight :-).

JeffL

Its nice to know i was on the right track. I hadn't had time to look at mine to be sure, (my time is locked up as the MONSTER in law is coming for a VISIT). Anyway thanks Brian, I figured you or Joe would pull it out.

Ryche

By the way Oldtieiron might need one of these, I sold him a recoil spring tube and end bolt ,but didn't have the buffer assy. to go in it.

You might send him a pm. and see if he's interested. Good luck

Ryche