Joseph Scott

Houston Gun show report

17 posts in this topic

At the Houston Gun Collectors show last weekend, I inspected three rifles and found problems in all having to do with the firing pin return spring and its keeper. The little keeper or ring, which is located about middle of the fp, is supposed to be staked into notches on the "wings" and is critical to returning the firing pin to the rear. Three of them were loose and the firing pin was forward and possibly could have slam fired.

Two were in guns for sale and one was in a gun bought at the door (walkin) for $2200. It had Winfield sporter wood and a M1 barrel with no bayonet lug, excellent metal except it has scope mount holes under an original military sight.

One gun had cracked and welded parts. The bolt catch would not release and teardown found a cracked and rewelded bolt catch with a coil spring in place of the small leaf spring under the finger. The barrel latch was rewelded and filled with JB Weld. The receiver was rewelded over the bolt stop plate release pin. Just a caution about buying Johnson's without a careful, knowledgable inspection.

Thanks Joe for the report, and timely reminder, about inspecting "gunshow" firearms. Unfortunately some people will try to get rid of a "problem child" at a gunshow where it's usually inconvenient, if not impossible, to really disassemble and inspect a potential purchase. I've been very lucky in my gunshow and internet purchases. Many times I've depended on my assessment of the seller's character to tell if he's hiding something, or is correctly representing his firearm. I think I should probably be a bit more careful before my luck runs out. :rolleyes: I mostly go to local gunshows and not large "National" shows. At the smaller shows the dealers are usually from a one hundred mile radius, and most are well known on the circuit. I usually buy from dealers that I know and have done business with in the past. However on occasion I've bought from a "walk-around-seller" but usually after a lengthy conversation and "getting to know you" type question and answer session. Only once have I purchased a misrepresented item. I bought a 357 Herret barrel, for a Thompson Contender, and resold it to an employee of mine. He had asked me to be looking for such a "wildcat" barrel. The first time that he fired it the scope was blown into the sky. Some "Bubba" had over drilled the holes for the scope rail screws. His drill bit had penetrated into the chamber, so he J-B welded the mistake. :excl: The J-B welded holes were well hidden by the scope mount. :o It's fortunate that my friend, and some by-standers, were not injured. I was unable to find the seller at subsequent shows, and that's probably a good thing for him. I was determined to have him arrested and charged with "wanton endangerment". :angry2:

Guys,

You know with the prices for these rifles going thru the stratosphere we're seeing more of these sticks showing up. Most dealers from talking with them know nothing about rifles other than they see $$$ in their eyes. I recently went to friends home here in the northeast to look at rifle he bought from a rather unscrupulous seller/dealer. This thing was a wreck. Missing,broken and bent parts with glued stocks. Fortunetly the receiver was not drilled for a scope mount. When he finally was able contact the former owner and told him of the problems the former owner stated would not take this rifle back nor would he lower the price. I'm fairly certain the seller knew of the problems with this piece but would not come clean when asked prior to selling it.

Fortunetly for him I have most of the parts needed for this rifle. He didn't know what he bought until he got it home and tried to take it apart. He paid a quite a bit more than 2200 bucks for this rifle.

Know what you are buying and from whom!

walt B)

Good advice! When buying any high end collectibles one needs to deal with reputable people who will take back anything which turns out to be "tainted". I have learned that the hard way. Unless you really know what you are doing, rely on the integrity of the vendor, even if you pay a little more. I have modeled my actions in this fashion. Tho not a "dealer", I, like most serious collectors, buy and sell a lot. I have always had a standing policy that I would take anything I sold back at the sales price anytime for any reason. It has rarely happened. Indeed, I wish most would be brought back.....I could do quite well with the appreciation in value.

Good advice! When buying any high end collectibles one needs to deal with reputable people who will take back anything which turns out to be "tainted". I have learned that the hard way. Unless you really know what you are doing, rely on the integrity of the vendor, even if you pay a little more. I have modeled my actions in this fashion. Tho not a "dealer", I, like most serious collectors, buy and sell a lot. I have always had a standing policy that I would take anything I sold back at the sales price anytime for any reason. It has rarely happened. Indeed, I wish most would be brought back.....I could do quite well with the appreciation in value.

Brian, Excellent observation! I, too, would gladly buy back any firearm that I've sold in the past at the original sales price. :) The same goes for any sportscar or motorcycle that I've ever owned. If I had back all the Jaguars, TR-3 Triumphs, Bug-eyed Sprites, Austin Healy 3000s, MGs, TR-7s, 1957 Triumph "Thunderbird" motorcycle, Harley Davidsons, Jeeps, Mercedes Benz vehicles, 1958 Chevy Impala convertible, 1956 Chevy 2 door post top, 1950 Ford Panel truck, 1948 Pontiac "Straight Eight", 1969 Dodge Charger, 1963 Chevy Impala, The biggest fanciest Cadillac ever made, but I can't remember the year? A 1965 Chevy Impala with 396 cubic inch engine, 1969 Camaro with 396, etc. etc. So many I can't remember them all (I traded vehicles a LOT when I was much younger) These were not high dollar vehicles when I owned them, nice but not extremely valuable.....but at today's prices I could sell them and be a rich man. I'm sure many of us could say the same thing. :D

WOOOAAAH Tanker I thought i was on the wrong site for a minute :lol: :lol: All those great cars, i too let my 73 Dodge Charger with the 440 HP motor go (and the 72 w/ the 318 in the back yard) to gun up money for a "G" prefix FAL.

I love the FAL BUT i really loved the Charger. Oh well At least when my hands get dirty from cleaning guns its alot easer to get off than old car grease :D

At least with the Johnsons there are no 12 volt batteries to replace, no gas to buy, no liability insurance, no tires to replace, very little maintenance compared to a vehicle. And vehicles just seem to take up a lot of room. Firearms are probably still the better investment and require no "up-keep". :D

OK,OK....you've got me there. However, I've convinced myself that I really do like to clean firearms and lube them. You've gotta do it anyway, might as well enjoy it. I do have friends who NEVER clean their guns. :rolleyes: I probably over-clean them if anything. :D It's probably a good thing that the 1941 Johnson is a pleasure to clean and maintain, easy too! I'd think that if you are taking a 1941 Johnson to a big gunshow, you want it in it's prime condition. TANKER

Maybe "you do not buy gas", but have you bought ANY ammo or reloading components lately....almost worse than gas at todays prices!

I don't want to even get into what it costs to feed the children.

Art you are soooo right about the price on ammo. Trying to keep up with the semi's is bad enough, but try keeping up with a couple belt feds.

Plus finding the good 8mm for them is a chore in itself. Its all worth it when you hit the range. :D

I don't want to even get into what it costs to feed the children.

Art you are soooo right about the price on ammo. Trying to keep up with the semi's is bad enough, but try keeping up with a couple belt feds.

Plus finding the good 8mm for them is a chore in itself. Its all worth it when you hit the range. :D

Art, you can say that again. :rolleyes: I've been looking for some Greek HXP or similar CMP ammo for months now. :( I can't afford to buy the commercial stuff. Local gun show dealers jack the price up double on their buys from the CMP. :angry2: I have some PS 74 that I've decided is probably safe to shoot. I only know how to reload .50 caliber, for obvious reasons, and that's all I've ever reloaded. It's probably time to start looking for some good used reloading equipment and supplies. I may have to look a long time for that too. I wonder how much ammo you'd have to reload to justify the purchase of a Dillon progressive set-up? Do they still offer something like a "Square Deal" on their "B" model? or something like that?

Ryche_me, my beltfeds are getting a well deserved rest since the ammo dried up. Oh, I long for the good old days of ammo cheap enough to run thousands of rounds in an hour or two, and not even flinch. :D TANKER

Hey Tanker: As of a couple months ago Dillion was still offering the Square deal B.

Order it with the 30-06 dies and i believe you get just about all you need. If you dont find used reloading equip. out there at gun shows let me know. Quite often it shows up here. RCBS is also a good way to go. The last time i needed parts they sent what i needed just for the price of shipping. As for takin out the toys we are headed out into the great expanse this weekend for a two day shooting, camping trip. I'm hoping the weather goes back down into the high 80's, it sucks camping in the desert when the temps are high 90's. I'm already flinching at what ammo costs are going to be for replacement after this weekend. Anyway this is why we do it :D

Ryche_me, I wish you a very pleasant weekend of tolerable weather. Go give your Johnson a good workout and shoot some guns too. :D Be sure to "Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition!" I wish I could go with you. I absolutley love camping, but I simply must have access to air conditioning when I'm trying to sleep. :rolleyes: My days of tent camping are probably over, and I'll stick to a nice air conditioned travel trailer or motorhome. :P M48TANKER (who has slept many nights inside the sweltering heat of a M48 tank cupola, and even more in rat infested bunkers. :o All of which makes you really appreciate a comfortable climate controlled sleeping space!)

While repairing one of the guns with the firing pin collar loose, I noted that the little return spring was tight on the fp and would not allow the pin to move inside the spring. The spring looked correct but was the wrong diameter and gripped the fp so hard it would not move. This allowed the pin to extend and stay forward and would have slam fired. This is the first time I have noted this problem, just another area to inspect when buying a gun. Joe

Joe: good thing to know, thanks for the update. I can't say i ever thought about this before but it could take a good day and make it really bad very quickly.

I had a similar problem with a broom handle Mauser once, the firing pin had been forced in upside down and was locked forward.

Not knowing this i had inserted three rounds that went off upon letting the bolt close. The trigger hadn't been pressed and it slam fired all three rounds. i almost shot a friend in the foot. Thankfully he had moved to be out my way moving to the firing line.

Little bits of info like this are extremely helpful in avoiding accidents, and possible injury's.

Ryche