Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VALMETM76

Just pick up a 41 Johnson

14 posts in this topic

Hi

Signed up a while ago to read up on the 41 Johnson. . I have three other WW2 rifles and this took the longest to acquirer , but i finely got one. Seems to be in fair condition , stock is good , internals are good , bore is dark with good rifling ,ser # B7274. Went to the Numrich web site to look for parts . I'm missing one screw on the forend. I attach some pictures. Bob

post-2654-0-32854600-1347191334_thumb.jp post-2654-0-93033700-1347191395_thumb.jp post-2654-0-15197100-1347191467_thumb.jp post-2654-0-05949800-1347191591_thumb.jp

thanks , I still have to shoot it . I'm hoping that will clean the barrel up a little .is there anything i should know before shooting this rifle , I have some greek ammo i use with my GARAND . thanks for the tip on the screw, Joseph scott is a member on this forum .

thanks again Bob

I am no gunsmith, so consider the following non-expert opinion. I shot Greek surplus in mine and it shot fine. As with any old gun I would carefully look for any broken, missing, worn, or damaged parts. If possible check the headspace. Definitely make sure there are no obstructions in the barrel. Wear safety glasses, hearing protection, and be aware of you backstop and what is beyond.

Nothing Johnson specific that I know of.

Joseph Scott is on this forum under his full name.

-wwiifirearms

I'd think the one missing in pic 2 . :P

If the brass is ejected with extreme gusto , your mainspring will need to be replaced.

You might also pull the little sliding reciever end plate off and the little block/plug inside. Then disconnect the rod from the mainspring and let it dangle out the back while the gun is standing on it's buttplate. Give the barrel a good shove back . The bolt should rotate and unlock. If it doesn't , the cam serfaces on the bolt carrier / bolt head may be worn. Not unsafe , but could cause failures to eject and feed as energy is used to overcome the drag.

Chris

Hi Joe

Thanks for writing , I need one of the two screws on the bottom of the forend ,or the Large head one underneath .

Also like to say hi to 1917 , thanks for the info , I'm sure I'm going to need to change out all of the springs .I been watching this web site Numrich for parts . Still have to get to range and shot some rds .

I disassemble the rilfe and all looks Ok . I also let tony at Orion 7 look it over and check the head spacing .I also would like to say thanks to everybody else who wrote with tips and info

Thanks again Bob

In picture 2, there is no missing screw. The hole on the side is where you release the barrel latch. I have the large head screws with washers, also a DVD on complete inspection, etc. Message me.

Congratulations Valmet, what a fine rifle you have. Enjoy shooting it, and get ready for some gawking if you shoot at a public range. Never fails to draw the interested and curious to the bench where a Johnson 1941 sits. I of course did not know Mr. Johnson, however I think that by bringing these rifles out to the range, and shooting them, and exposing the public to them, we honor his diligence, creativity, and drive to create something better. I will often take the rifle apart, and show other shooters, especially the AR-15 crowd, just how much of the genius of Johnson made their black rifles possible. It never ceases to amaze me how people react to seeing that bolt, with its slender fingers, and then of course it becomes obvious. They are indeed treasures.

To Slapdogg....many thank s for the above comment concerning Dad's bolt design for the Colt AR-15/M-16 design. Many people overlook that.

Hi Mr Johnson

I had no idea that Melvin Johnson was your father . This is a great honor for me. I own a AR 15 and had an M 16 in the sea bees . and when i saw the bolt ,and did some reading, and saw that your father and Stoner had work together on the A R . He was way ahead of his time. even with the 224 and a box magazine

BOB

Woops ... sorry Joseph , you're right.

Hummm.......maybe I should have my eyes checked.

Glad you're on the mend.

Chris