Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tsmgguy

Joe Scott?

12 posts in this topic

Could someone kindly post or PM a phone number for Joe Scott? I need to buy a M1941 butt stock. Thanks! Howard

You should be able to PM yourself from the MEMBERS link at the top of the page, find Joseph Scott, and then click on SEND ME A MESSAGE....

if you cannot get there on your own, use this link

http://johnsonautomatics.com/messageboard/index.php?s=bbe490c671077b4f4fb9c949559af0a1&showuser=8

Bought one of Joe Scott's stocks. It arrived today. It's a lovely hunk of wood, military straight grained walnut and not "skinny" at all. Thanks, Joe! Howard

I have one of your stocks also Joe Great fit Thanks so much for the great job and I also have one of your rear sights. Wish I could have purchased one of your barrels when you had them for sale.

I am having eye problems again and not working lathe due to bad depth perception. Undergoing treatment and hope it will clear up as it did last year. Have a barrel half done and can't finish it, will try to make several when I can.

I hope that Joe and other people take this the right way, but I think someone might want to become Joe's apprentice. Many of us are becoming a bit older and medical afflictions are going to become the norm. Unless someone becomes the "new Joe" there will become a time when JSAR enthusiasts will have no place to go for "new" parts. Unfortunately I am in that bit older crowd, and am not in the position to take up gun smithing and machining as a new hobby. Considering the state of the economy at this time, there must be some young out of work machinist who might be ripe for this opportunity. Just a thought. ArtR

I have thought about that subject and had a local friend lined up to learn the craft. However he moved away. As I make items in small lots as needed, it would be impractical to teach someone in a reasonable time period. I want to video various machining work so that knowhow can be passed on. I want this so my equipment and parts can be sold as a going business instead of just used machinery. Generally, I am in good health except one eye and hope to be around for many years. This work is a labor of love and keeps me busy and healthy. It needs someone with knowledge of manual milling, manual lathes and small turret lathes. No cnc currently involved. I also have sources of information that I do not share that allows me to understand the design and function of the rifle. Equipment consists of about 15 various machines, three large, heavy ones and the rest smaller. Much tooling. Not sure when I might want to sell out, will keep going as long as possible. Joe

The apprentice idea may not be bad but i like to hear Joe come out swinging. :) Stay in the game Joe we are always pulling for ya... Ryche

The subject of finding younger folks to take over some of what us older folks do is not a new subject for this board or for this website team. As example, I have deliberately singled out 2 younger people than myself to keep an eye on "the Johnson Story" after I am gone. And Walt Liss lives near me, and he is younger than I am, but Walt likes to ride Motorcycles without a helmet, so I'll probably outlast him. In a previous situation, we had a website team member named John Darling in California who specialized in stocks. Due to age and illness in the family, John had to step back from his activities. Before doing so, he and Joe Scott conferred and John ended up transferring his inventory to Joe. So I don't want Joe to quit what he is doing, but he is being realistic. He also tried to train someone but they moved away. It makes sense for Joe to find someone locally near where he lives to gradually take over what Joe does. If that isn't possible, then we all need to come up with solutions. There may be an area of the USA that has a decent quantity of gunsmiths. Perhaps one can be selected who would have the sincere interest in the Johnson Rifles. Perhaps they would be willing to meet with Joe, if I can find a way to handle travel expenses, etc. As I said, I am open to suggestions. Perhaps it would be best to contact Joe or myself directly. My E-mail for this purpose would be: EdwardR.Johnson72@gmail.com

Joe's idea of making a training video would be a great start. YouTube is full of tutorials on various machining processes and short "home workshop lessons" by talented machinists. Most of these are not item-specific, just general procedural techniques.

For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVDZZTgNh7U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLXL3cdnbpM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyiIkb4pfls

It would be invaluable to have access to the vast expanse of Joe's knowledge and methods of production. I doubt if anyone could ever take Joe's place as the "go to guy" for Johnson parts. It would take many years to learn to do what Joe does. I'm also pretty sure that there is not much profit on his products. It's just a labor of love and a great service to our community.

I'm nearly 65 years old and retired from the Custom Home Building business. For about the last ten years I've been working with metal. I've been able to acquire a "Brown and Sharp" #2A milling machine and a Bridgeport lathe, along with the other essentials of air compressors, hydraulic presses, blasting cabinets, several types of welding machines, in addition to my full complement of wood working tools. I can tell you, tooling is a big expense.

But having the tools is only a part of being able to create things. You must also have the knowledge, and then learn the skills.

Having a "video workshop DVD" of Joe's knowledge would preserve what could someday become a lost art.

Joe may someday be forced to retire. (An auto accident "retired" me back in 2002) It would be a great advantage to preserve some of his knowledge for posterity. Then Joe can enjoy his retirement, knowing that his craft is going to be carried on.

I'll be first in line for a copy of that DVD. I've already got his first one!