sledge101

Serial Number S-6 Rifle?

36 posts in this topic

Mr. Baker, your initial comment was:"I picked up this 1941 Johnson Rifle and I am looking for some info on it. It was made the first day of production and is the 6th rifle off the line. I have no extra info on it other then that."1) How do you know S-6 was made the first day of production?2) How do you know it is the 6th rifle off the line?3) Where did you "pick up" the rifle? What was the source?Maybe if we start there, we can solve part of the mystery.

I only assumed that S-6 would have been the first day of production being well...S-6 and that 6th would make it the 6th rifle

I got the rifle from a friend who said he got it from Eastern Canada. It didn't have a barrel and managed to get one from Kentucky

SO I have decided to slightly restore this rifle. I want to shoot it. I plan on tearing it all down and sitting into a tank of vinegar or coke for a day to stop any more rusting. I will then put it into another tank with water and baking soda to neutralize the acid. Then it will sit into another tank of mineral oil. I will get a new spring for the rifle and look for a new stock as well. Once its all reassembled off to a gun smith I know to check head spacing then to the range.

Not to be a kill joy here but once you start changing parts on this rifle --It's authenticity will disappear !! So far you have replaced the barrel and what else?? Where in Eastern Canada did it come from?? Also could it have come through Peter Wilke at some time?? I ask because he had a pile of 1941 Johnson's that were in real bad condition that he cut up for parts over 20 years ago! It may have been even longer ago than that as I can't find my old correspondence from him, and I know I bought a bunch of Grade II Johnson parts along with AR-10 parts probably mid 1980's to Mid 1990's time period !

I dont know where out east. I know where I got it from here in Ontario

He added the barrel as it didnt have one.

Even if I replace parts I would never get rid of the old parts. That way it can always go back the way it was

Just out of curiosity, where did you get it from in Ontario? I'm located in the Hamilton area.

Then it probably came from Mr. Wilke because he was in Swastika Ontario and he had a short pile of poor condition Johnsons; In that time period a nice Johnson sold in the $600.00 Range ! When I was talking with him these Johnson rifles were not importable unless he cut the receivers in thirds and shipped them as parts! I think he wanted around $195.00 for them and he was also selling Dutch AR-10 parts sets for around $475.00 complete with a cut receiver!

The rifle is going to a gun smith one day this week to get head spaced. But I am in need of a spring. I was told it should be 12" and mine is 11"

Or was I told wrong?

The rifle is going to a gun smith one day this week to get head spaced. But I am in need of a spring. I was told it should be 12" and mine is 11"

Or was I told wrong?