Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve(WA)

New Johnson buttstock

10 posts in this topic

Hi all.... I bought a new Johnson from the other Auction site (not GB, GunAction--the old Auction Arms) that I asked opinions from the board in another thread. Nice gun, metal is about perfect except for the two pins below the rear dovetail. Anyway, I took off the buttplate tonight and found a plastic oiler, a pull-through, and a spare new magazine spring. Did someone just hog out the stock for those parts? I didn't think there was anything stored there so was surprised to see it. Here are a couple of pictures.

post-4447-0-47873800-1418879799_thumb.jppost-4447-0-55465100-1418879839_thumb.jp

Those pieces are correct for the era, but the JSAR never carried them on board. Somebody did this to the rifle, the big question is When???

Ryche

Mr Scott...does an original stock have that hollowed out area?

That is not an original buttstock. Originals have 3 holes, not 2 1/2. As far as contents, I have seen 2 with spare extractors wrapped in oiled paper.

Mr Alpert. There are some good pictures from the auction in the other thread I started. Would you mind looking at those? The stock sure looks nice on the outside. It matches the handguard perfectly. Could some one have opened up those holes for storage?

The only way I know to determine the originality of a stock is to look at the configuration of the holes under the buttplate and the inletting on the face. The holes do not look "joined" to my eye. Also, the bottom hole (for the tube cqp screw) is off center. Take the stock off and look at the face butting up against the rear of the magazine. It should be inletted like the picture above and have both a number and letter stamped on the face. I have not seen replacement stocks inlet like this.