oldtirediron

1941 Johnson chromed trunnion???

4 posts in this topic

I have a set of spare barrel parts I just decided to sell on an internet site ! I have had them for a long time and decided to sell them ! Anyway these parts have been kicking around one of my spares boxes forever, The trunnion was heavily cosmolined and had caked on grease on it-- When I scrubbed it off I found the outside to have been hard chromed, it shows wear and rubbing on it, But just to the surface finish-- The finish on the  inside of the trunnion is  or appears to be original parkerize green-- Anyone ever seen another trunnon like this?? Just wondering if anyone had any information on who when or where this may have been done, and Why? Maybe to reduce friction ??  

aja.png

ajb.png

ajd.png

ajc.png

I have seen several chromed pieces and believe they were done by Winfield to restore correct dimensions.   The chromed edges of thecenter guide is more common.

That would make a lot of sense; I have had a lot of Garand ,Carbine and some 45 auto parts that were chromed by Springfield Armory in their rebuild programs-- bullet guides on m-1 Rifles, where the tolerances was wrong, and other trigger group parts hard chromed to fix the incorrect tolerances-- I was thinking about that trunnion and I think I removed it from a terrible condition barrel in the 1980's --